Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car modelling in the UK

I am not a UK builder but have bought allot from Hiroboy, mostly Japanese as the original thread creator states but have some Americana. At least he have allot of detailing, and Zero Paints.

Car-model-Kit have allot but they are not in the UK so I guess there is import tax since you are outside the EU.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I’m surprised the Americans could sell their cars locally! When we lived in Germany it wasn’t allowed. A lot of US military would buy a new Mercedes to take home, leaving their American cars behind. Their only options were to either sell them to another American or turn them in at the yard on post.  They’d keep a certain amount around for parts, and scrap the rest. It was normal to see stacks of 4-5 year old cars ready for the crusher.

That's interesting. Different countries different rules I suppose. 

On 11/29/2021 at 5:07 PM, Rockford said:

That's interesting. Different countries different rules I suppose. 

Absolutely!  We had a U.S. base in the far northwest of the state, known as Exmouth.  A lot of the Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes that appeared around Perth, Western Australia in the mid seventies were purchased from servicemen in Exmouth.  About a two day drive to get them home but considering their rarity back in the day, well worth it!

Cheers

Alan