Model Cars Magazine Forum

just want to pass this on

hey everybody,just wanted to pass this on, if it has been disscused already moderators please remove:

i have been been trying to spray bodys now for about 3 months now useing craftstore acrylics,i have seen chapmans videos on subject along with others,tryed there mixtures ,got ok results but lots of times had to strip and start over, always seemed to be a differnt problem each time,example ; dry before hits body, chunks of paint , or paint ran cause too thin , tryed spraying at different preasures, i use an iwata revolution ,and it sprayed enamels and lacquer just beautifully , so why not continue with them?? well the SMELL , ihave a booth but still smelly ,so onto acrylic .so i heard about this stuff called golden air brush medium , so i figured what the heck,bought some and WOW what a difference , the salesman who sold it to me uses it for military models and he tryed to get technical about how it doesnt seperate the ingrediant in paint and blah blah,, had no idea what he was saying but it works,,,dont get me wrong ,still use the water mixture but adding this stuff also into mixture, apparently this stuff helps with dry tip issue and it definetly flows ALOT better , i set pressure at about 25 to 30 psi with trigger down ,and bingo. but i have found out by playing with this stuff that if you use TOO much it for sure SLOWS down drying time,but i put my bodys in a food dehydrater any way,when dry i sand body down with some 3600 grit paper then clear coat with duplicolor or pledge future (experimenting with that too (FUTURE),THEN I SAND AGAIN WITH 3600 then wax,,and i am very pleased with results,,, would i enter them in contest ,no , because there are guys out there that have KILLER paint jobs ,besides i build to have fun and so as long as im happy thats what matters,,,but some of my friends that seen them say they cant believe that it is a craft store paint job with floor polish (l.o.l) oh and by the way dont get sticker shock when you price this stuff ,,,i payed $20.00 for a 16 once bottle ,,but i goes a loooong way when mixing, any how good luck any question feel free i STILL learning but glad to pass on what has worked for me

Can you give us an idea of your mixing ratios? I've been mixing 100 ml batches of acrylic thinner and add 2 ml of Liquitex Professional Flow-Aid Fluid Medium and 2 ml of Liquitex Professional Slow Dri Blending Medium. I usually thin the acrylic paint 1:1 with the thinner mixture. 

hey everybody,just wanted to pass this on, if it has been disscused already moderators please remove:

i have been been trying to spray bodys now for about 3 months now useing craftstore acrylics,i have seen chapmans videos on subject along with others,tryed there mixtures ,got ok results but lots of times had to strip and start over, always seemed to be a differnt problem each time,example ; dry before hits body, chunks of paint , or paint ran cause too thin , tryed spraying at different preasures, i use an iwata revolution ,and it sprayed enamels and lacquer just beautifully , so why not continue with them?? well the SMELL , ihave a booth but still smelly ,so onto acrylic .so i heard about this stuff called golden air brush medium , so i figured what the heck,bought some and WOW what a difference , the salesman who sold it to me uses it for military models and he tryed to get technical about how it doesnt seperate the ingrediant in paint and blah blah,, had no idea what he was saying but it works,,,dont get me wrong ,still use the water mixture but adding this stuff also into mixture, apparently this stuff helps with dry tip issue and it definetly flows ALOT better , i set pressure at about 25 to 30 psi with trigger down ,and bingo. but i have found out by playing with this stuff that if you use TOO much it for sure SLOWS down drying time,but i put my bodys in a food dehydrater any way,when dry i sand body down with some 3600 grit paper then clear coat with duplicolor or pledge future (experimenting with that too (FUTURE),THEN I SAND AGAIN WITH 3600 then wax,,and i am very pleased with results,,, would i enter them in contest ,no , because there are guys out there that have KILLER paint jobs ,besides i build to have fun and so as long as im happy thats what matters,,,but some of my friends that seen them say they cant believe that it is a craft store paint job with floor polish (l.o.l) oh and by the way dont get sticker shock when you price this stuff ,,,i payed $20.00 for a 16 once bottle ,,but i goes a loooong way when mixing, any how good luck any question feel free i STILL learning but glad to pass on what has worked for me

I'm making the switch to Createx paints for the same reasons you mention. You might find this topic helpful: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/104395-createx-paints/

well the SMELL , ihave a booth but still smelly ,so onto acrylic .so i heard about this stuff called golden air brush medium , so i figured what the heck,bought some and WOW what a difference , the salesman who sold it to me uses it for military models and he tryed to get technical about how it doesnt seperate the ingrediant in paint and blah blah,, had no idea what he was saying but it works,,,dont get me wrong ,still use the water mixture but adding this stuff also into mixture, apparently this stuff helps with dry tip issue and it definetly flows ALOT better , i set pressure at about 25 to 30 psi with trigger down ,and bingo.

The OLD enamels smell bad, but have you smelled the new acrylic enamels with low-voc? You can hardly smell them, and whatever smell is there rapidly dissipates. I love the new acrylic enamels and lacquers. To me, there is no reason NOT to use them.

In regard to acrylics, your tip is the same one that got me started trying acrylics! I settled on Liquitex Airbrush Medium, and you do not have to add water - the water is already in the medium, and it has none of the harmful chemicals like in washer solution, etc., that can drastically affect the quality of your paints. Btw, some of these mediums are named "flow" mediums, because like you stated, they improve the flow and minimize tip-dry!

Edited by fseva