Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Bugatti in the house!

Came today! Wow, this kit box is huge... bigger than the RR box. I got what looks to be a very early production kit, with the internal differential gears–that feature was included in only a few of the very earliest release of this kit and was deleted pretty quickly by Pocher. Even some of the early kits don't have the gears anymore, even though they are still shown in the instruction manual... Pocher didn't get around to revising the manual until later releases of the Bugattis.

The kit is completely factory-fresh. None of the parts tree plastic bags have been opened, none of the smaller bags containing all of the metal parts have been opened. This kit is completely untouched... a time capsule from decades ago. Even the instruction manual is as crisp and fresh as the day it was printed. Somebody bought this kit many years ago and literally didn't touch it.

Okay, more parts = more agony. You've left off brake kit internal parts in the past. Will you do all the internal parts on this one?

I might install the brake details. I will definitely install all the engine internals (this kit even has separate piston rings!)

In previous Pochers I did cut corners... didn't bother with the working lights, didn't bother with the brake detail. In this case, I think I might just go all out and actually include all the features in the kit. The reason I never bothered with the working lights in past kits is because once a bulb burns out, there's no way to replace it... so I figured why bother with the working lights at all. But today I can buy little LEDs that'll last almost forever, so maybe I will add the working lights feature.

I will also be doing a custom interior, with wood trim on the door panels and a real wood dash. And a custom color scheme different from the ones you usually see on this car. I'm thinking two-tone body with a third color on the fenders. We'll see. This is all off in the future a bit. I have to finish the RR woody first.

The shafts carrying the diff gears will have slop in the plastic journal saddles. Wrapping the shafts with a bit of teflon tape or BMF will remove the slop but allow them to turn easily.

For when you're zooming it across the rug...

the Pocher roof line and rear quarter glass seem a bit off compared to the reference photo (and the boot hinges are missing).

Hrmmmm...I wonder if Harry will correct his Pocher (and no, that is NOT a euphemism).

Oh, nevermind...that Pocher has more errors than the new Revell 57 Ford sedan AND wagon.    ;)

Edited by blunc
added comments

From Marvin's site, here is a model by Roger Antrobus. The rear glass is clearly smaller by Pocher. Would you correct that on yours?

antrobus_35.jpg

Yes. And I also like the fenders on the photo of the real car better. I might have to change the kit fenders to look more like that,

Not really anything I can show you right now... it' just a big box full of thousands of parts. But here is a real one, this is the car...

Bugatti-T50_zpsezr0bark.jpg

Almost as cool as a '66 Galaxie 500 Four door sedan with a optional R code 427. No not really, not even close. Not my cup of tea. but I will love to see you build it. 

I have to admit, I already started building it.

No way could I put this baby aside and ignore it while I finish my RR woody. The woody will have to share time with the Bugatti, as I have been lusting after a Pocher Bugatti since I knew what Pocher kits were.

I already have much of the engine built, as well as the rear end (with those cool internal gears), and I've been shooting photos along the way. I guess I ought to start up a new WIP topic on this one.

I have to admit, I already started building it.

No way could I put this baby aside and ignore it while I finish my RR woody. The woody will have to share time with the Bugatti, as I have been lusting after a Pocher Bugatti since I knew what Pocher kits were.

I already have much of the engine built, as well as the rear end (with those cool internal gears), and I've been shooting photos along the way. I guess I ought to start up a new WIP topic on this one.

Well, you could swap engines between the two and have a blown Shooting Brake. Now THAT'S unique. Did you have the shaft play in the diff?

Did you have the shaft play in the diff?

No, everything is super tight and smooth. That rear end is more like watchmaking than model building... the machined gears are beautifully done and mesh precisely. No wonder Pocher dropped that feature quickly... all of those machined gears and bushings must have been expensive to produce.

Miss the gears....is it something that could be added back to the newer kit???

Like to see what you do for engine painting......assemble and test fit to confirm before painting or paint before assembly

Almost the entire engine is polished metal, so I'm building as much as possible and then painting as a unit. Block, heads, timing case, transmission... all will be sprayed as a unit. I might want to give the valve covers a more polished look, so I may paint those separately. Also the supercharger is more of a cast, dull finish, not polished, so that will also be painted differently and separately from the block.

As far as adding the differential gears back into a later release... on subsequent releases of this kit Pocher simply eliminated the internals. The outer casing is identical to the earlier kits, so theoretically yes, you could add the gears back into a later release.

The problem would be finding them somewhere...