Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge A100 Machine Shop Van

I just got back the other day from 4 months at sea and was finally able to get some work done on this van I've been wanting to do. It is a delivery van for a machine shop from around 1970 with a Jimmy Flintstone body on the Lindberg Little Red Wagon. The engine is the Slant six from the Lindberg 64 Plymouth, the rear tires are from the Phantom van, the wheels and front tires are from the 68 Dart. The cargo is from the Little Red Wagon and the Tony Nancy double dragster. It will be some sort of Honda white from Duplicolor although I am currently fighting an issue with the paint checking. I am pretty sure its from the cheap primer I used so a few more sessions of wet sanding and recoating with light coats should take care of it. I made some decal designs for the machine shop logo, I am leaning towards the one with the checkered flags but I value your opinions. Tell me what you think, good or bad.

IMG_0884a.jpg

IMG_0888a.jpg

IMG_0890a.jpg

IMG_0893a.jpg

machine shop van copy.jpg

Great work!  I see you already figured out the fit of the body to the chassis. 

I will caution you that you will need to thin the door panels. The resin body is thicker than the kit doors, and the door panels will collide with the side of the front seats.  Watch this fit!  I learned that the hard way.

Thanks for the kind words DM, Tom, Paul, Carl, Ira, and Miles. This was my first resin body and it went together pretty smoothly. As Tom mentions, the chassis fit was a bit off but I expected that and an 80 grit drum sander on a dermal at the slowest speed made quick work of that. Also, as Tom mentions, the door panels become an issue but I cleaned up the fit on the body and then cut the flanges on the door panels flat right, that solved that problem. I did end up taking a bit off the chassis around the sides and back but not enough to notice. So I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw the pastels that several people on this forum are using to great effect for weathering and bought them and tried it out on the transmission and exhaust. I can see these becoming a regular tool in my toolbox. This was also the first time I tried flocking, I didn't make as big a mess as I thought I would and even though it will never be seen I am happy with the results. I made a bunch of vintage speed equipment decals like Holley, Mooneyes, Hurst, and my favorite Mopar sign, but it was too busy with them on there so I pulled them off before they could set. Tomorrow I am going to try Future floor polish for the first time. Since I don't have an airbrush I'm going to brush it on but from what I've learned from you guys that's not a big deal.

IMG_0901a.jpg

IMG_0899a.jpg

IMG_0902a.jpg

IMG_0905a.jpg

Edited by MGL
wrong picture

• 2 months later...

This was also the first time I tried flocking, I didn't make as big a mess as I thought I would and even though it will never be seen I am happy with the results.

One of the things about flocking is that it can get all over the place.  I make it a practice to never do flocking where I build my models.  I do my flocking in the kitchen over newspaper that can be folded up and thrown away.  Once I'm happy with the results, I hit it with hair spray to keep it in place.   

Flocking particles can be attracted by static electricity.  I don't want to find them in my paint jobs, or where they don't belong on my models!  I've seen flocking clinging to the inside of windows on other folks finished models.   

On my A100 van I didn't use flocking.  I had a sheet of doll house red carpet. It worked well since most of the areas were flat. And I agree, you can barely see any of it, but I just had to do it for myself!

One of the things about flocking is that it can get all over the place.  I make it a practice to never do flocking where I build my models.  I do my flocking in the kitchen over newspaper that can be folded up and thrown away.  Once I'm happy with the results, I hit it with hair spray to keep it in place.   

Flocking particles can be attracted by static electricity.  I don't want to find them in my paint jobs, or where they don't belong on my models!  I've seen flocking clinging to the inside of windows on other folks finished models.  

On my A100 van I didn't use flocking.  I had a sheet of doll house red carpet. It worked well since most of the areas were flat. And I agree, you can barely see any of it, but I just had to do it for myself!

Thats funny, after this project I started doing mine in the kitchen over newspaper. I didn't know about the hairspray but I can see how it would keep the particles in place afterwards, thanks for the tip.