Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #171 Finished

Remember, don't post any hints or answers here. PM me (NOT Harry!!) with year, make, and model.

This one is hard. If you think it is easy, you have the wrong car.

autoid171-vi.jpg

Depending on where you look, it is either a 1975-1977, or a 1975-1979 Mazda Roadpacer AP. Essentially, it was an exported Australian Holden Premier rebadged and factory fitted with Mazda's 13B rotary engine. It was a very poor marriage of technology, resulting sluggish performance and poor fuel economy as the 13B struggled to drag around the Holden's mass.

http://hooniverse.com/2012/03/16/australo-japanese-luxobarge-1975-79-mazda-roadpacer/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Roadpacer_AP

Edited by otherunicorn

Lol yes that would be weird, but then again Subaru's are sold as Toyota and vise versa, lol

I ment the brz/FRS/gt86/ect.

The Parent company of Subaru is Fuji Heavy Industries, and Toyota have a 16% share in their parent company ....

The forward mounted outside rear view mirrors is a dead giveaway that the car is Japanese. Only the Japanese, as far as I know, mounted the mirrors way up front like that.

Aside from the goofy mirrors, it's not a bad looking car at all. It looks vaguely "AMC-ish" to me... Ambassador, maybe.

The Parent company of Subaru is Fuji Heavy Industries, and Toyota have a 16% share in their parent company ....

yes I know, but its still odd.

The forward mounted outside rear view mirrors is a dead giveaway that the car is Japanese. Only the Japanese, as far as I know, mounted the mirrors way up front like that.

Aside from the goofy mirrors, it's not a bad looking car at all. It looks vaguely "AMC-ish" to me... Ambassador, maybe.

from my understanding they used those mirrors to help see around the tight blind corners, you think those are odd, check out the big vans they have a mirror hanging off the back aimed down at the bumper...

yes I know, but its still odd.

from my understanding they used those mirrors to help see around the tight blind corners, you think those are odd, check out the big vans they have a mirror hanging off the back aimed down at the bumper...

Reversing mirrors? Vans in Australia have them too. Good idea.

I used to drive a Toyota Coaster bus for a day care centre back in the late 1990s and it had an extra mirror under the LHS external mirror so you could see the front of the vehicle (front bumper) when in tight situations.

Regards,

RHB.

We used to do that in the UK too, up until the early 70's as I remember. You still hear them referred to as wing mirrors* today, even though they have been door mounted for the last 40 years.

*fender or guard depending on which of the former colonies you hail from ?

Edited by dw1603
Layout improved