Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't get it!?!

I swear, I'm starting to think vintage kit prices are solely based on my interests!! It never fails! There will be a kit that I never paid much attention too but now want and that kit all of a sudden starts going for outrageous prices!!?! Case in point, the MPC 1/20 Econoline van, first or second issue, whichever one the red box is, just sold on EBay for 273.00 !!!! Not even sealed!?! I have NEVER seen them go for that! Sure enough, it's the only kit I'm really after right now! Unreal!

even worse, you spend a crazy amount on an older kit like that, just for it to get reissued a month later! Had that happen to me with the Monogram '70 Buick.

Dan, if you get to the model shows, I've seen Squarebody trucks run around the $35 (US) mark, unbuilt, for the MPCs. Might be worth looking into. I'm hoping that Round 2 finds the tooling to reissue them, along with the Dodges, which get major stupid money, even worse than the GM trucks.

You just never know.

Every day & every auction is different.

I saw a built Johan '61 Cadillac sell for $342.00 last night!

Granted, it was a nice built kit, but I've personally bought unbuilt kits that were just as nice & just as rare for a fraction of that!

You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

Finding an auction that ends in the middle of the day on a week day can help a bunch as well. ;)

Steve

I was looking at that Caddy too, since I've also got a built non-gluebomb '61 Fleetwood - but I doubt I'd get anywhere near that for it since the chrome is a bit duller and one A-pillar is a little bent (and I don't have the box, which for some is a big deal). Also I do believe that seller has gained a considerable following of customers who tune in to his auctions every Saturday evening.

I swear, I'm starting to think vintage kit prices are solely based on my interests!! It never fails! There will be a kit that I never paid much attention too but now want and that kit all of a sudden starts going for outrageous prices!!?! Case in point, the MPC 1/20 Econoline van, first or second issue, whichever one the red box is, just sold on EBay for 273.00 !!!! Not even sealed!?! I have NEVER seen them go for that! Sure enough, it's the only kit I'm really after right now! Unreal!

i think i have only seen two of these ever built...

Hi feel your pain gents...seems like everything I like or need(parts or parts cars) are stupid high...?...and on a very very small disability income it makes it worse to try and find anything.  There are many old and new ones Id like to get but at this point Id be happy to find the parts I need the never ending search gets old and its been years for some of them.  

I hear ya Ben...samething for me.its so upsetting to decide to go after a kit,then when you want it...now the prices are nuts.

Mark...I'm still looking for parts for you...I just don't see any more then the few I had found for ya.its exasperating. ..looking for parts myself...never see them.and its hard to get out alot for the hunt....the war goes on though. ...Chris 

I hear ya Ben...samething for me.its so upsetting to decide to go after a kit,then when you want it...now the prices are nuts.

Mark...I'm still looking for parts for you...I just don't see any more then the few I had found for ya.its exasperating. ..looking for parts myself...never see them.and its hard to get out alot for the hunt....the war goes on though. ...Chris 

Thanks Chris buddy....I recently posted a needs list here and if you go down on the replies there is a more detailed listing of what is needed...its been changing due to the tornado we had last month here and sure there will be more added to it.

I know how you feel man. I been in that spot myself more then once. You see a kit out there you don't really care about and you leave it there but always pasting it by all the time. Then one day you wake up and for some odd reason you now want the kit that you really didn't care much about before. You go to price check the model kit thinking it's low price because not many people are after them. Just to learn an find out the kit now has a big price tag on it an some folks are now looking for that kit an paying crazy amounts for it an kits like it. I been down that road like you all have.

Maybe there was new coverage on the tv about that kind of vehicle or a movie made that used that style or something is all I can really think of. Or it can just be that the kits are getting older and they are more vintage then we thought they was.. or it could also be the demand for them also.