Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 cadillac Car hauler

D1SKNT

hi all

this is my 1959 cadilac car hauler.

its started life as a revell convertible that was missing part's " the front wind shield is among that list of missing parts :(" so i decided to chop it up

i dont have alot of earlier pics of the build but there's been alot of scratch building up to this point.
i always wanted to build a hauler special after i finished a 32 ford alter/gasser so i got motivated 
started by cutting the body in half just after the rear door jams,  save the rear quarters to work in the the tray.

so i started to re work the body to a utility also realising i haven't got a roof, so i used the boot from the cady along with a rear window section off a 65 galaxy to make one up. 

once the body was roughly mocked up i stared building the frame. 

engine combo is a blow threw single turbo v8. id just done a roots style blower engine in my 32 so wanted something different and had been wanting build a turbo something since i got back in to the hobby.

so i started building the turbo kit. from different gauges of soldering lead, aluminium tubing and styrene 
body wise its about  ready for a build coat of primer then final rub back and paint. 

anyways i could go on but pics are better.

going to try and update this build as im fairly motived to get it done.
hope you guys enjoy  

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

P1010537.JPG

P1010539.JPG

P1010540.JPG

P1010541.JPG

P1010542.JPG

P1010543.JPG

P1010544.JPG

P1010545.JPG

P1010546.JPG

P1010547.JPG

Edited by D1SKNT

thanks guys,

yer having a box full of random shell's comes in handy, really wanted to replicated the 59 utility rear wrap around glass but wanted to avoide vacuum forming, resining up custom glass... even  though im probably going to have to do that with the front because i dont have one. lol 

That's quite interesting to say the least! :)

I'm interested to see how you tackle that back glass! :blink:

By the way, with the site being a little messed up after the switch to the new format, I've been just copying & pasting photos from Photobucket to the site

just right click on the photo itself & click "Copy Image".

Then right click on your post & hit paste & they'll pop right in.

Steve 

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w334/D1SKNT/IMG_0605_zps83pmvlzg.jpg

thanks for that in regards to the pics steve, il give it ago.
than fully i found a perfect match in my spare glass box for a rear window. its the front thats going to be interesting. might even be forced to buy a complete kit for one.

thanks all for the comments.

• 1 year later...

Very cool, but I would never put that last car pictured on the flat bed.  Gonna scratch the paint.

hahaha i hear you Dan, just using the old scrapper to show off the scale of the bed in that you can still fit something as long as a super bee on the back.

Your construction is very thorough. Trunk lid for the roof, brilliant. I love this.

thanks a lot luna i tried to take this build to a level id never been before. there's things I probably would have done different but as a hole I'm fairly happy 

glad to hear people like it. tried to be different with the blow thru turbo V8 setup in something you probably wouldn't expect to be turbo'd or a car hauler.  

I love the flat-top roof ... and those beautiful rear fenders!

In the 1:1 world I saw something similar to haul a small sports car racer of some type.  A guy used the front half of a 67 or 68 Olds Toronado.  It worked out pretty good, the FWD seemed a pretty good solution to some of the mechanical issues.  

I love the flat-top roof ... and those beautiful rear fenders!

In the 1:1 world I saw something similar to haul a small sports car racer of some type.  A guy used the front half of a 67 or 68 Olds Toronado.  It worked out pretty good, the FWD seemed a pretty good solution to some of the mechanical issues.  

cheers mate. couldn't have a 59 cady hauler without the iconic fenders.

yer FWD would be a smart move in the real world if like you said you set it up for hauling something small.