Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

Thanks Kevin! It's best to plan ahead which I didn't for this car, it was a test paint car that got out of hand, but , it's shaping up a little. 

Oh yes, guilty. Unlike all of my military stuff, I tend to start a car model with no research, and no real idea where I'm headed. Not very clever of me, but I'm slowly beginning to change that approach.

Oh yes, guilty. Unlike all of my military stuff, I tend to start a car model with no research, and no real idea where I'm headed. Not very clever of me, but I'm slowly beginning to change that approach.

:lol: ya me too. I got in trouble early on because I was having trouble painting and I would just grab a body out of the box, do  a little prep work and shot! that's how this car came to be, body painted, no plan. Oh well, I'm better at painting now. 

Looks good !  You have me wanting to pick up another one of these kits.

:lol: Be careful Ray! I think I saw a thread of your's some time ago with one of these and you know how to fix most, if not all this kits short comings? For the last couple of days I've been telling myself, " I'll never touch another 'Super Boss' kit as long as I live! Then I hear, " you know that's not true, these things are so cool, if you learn how to correct the kits many short comings (wheel base/stance/interior tub) they are beautiful cars. It is a beautiful thing though, I can't help but want to build another one myself. Now all I have to do is get the other side to look as good as this side does, by then I should be a little better with decals. Man , (they are for me at least) right now more challenging than BMF! 

Cheers Ray, thanks! 

Edited by Speedfreak

I love the AWB kits and have built many over the years. I think I still have a couple around here. Sure they are simple kits and not all that well detailed but I think when they are done they look pretty good.

Agreed. I'm really hoping that mine comes as nice as this one, once I get back on it.

You did a really, really good job on this one. I have done a few so I know first hand how tuff they can be but to me that's half the fun  (slicing and dicing ) a kit to build it right and you definitely built it right. Again, What a beautiful car that is and what a beautiful cat you have  ( I am a huge cat-dog lover). I have been following your build since the beginning and have learned quite a few things and want to say thank you.       Jeff

Keep up the good work. 

You did a really, really good job on this one. I have done a few so I know first hand how tuff they can be but to me that's half the fun  (slicing and dicing ) a kit to build it right and you definitely built it right. Again, What a beautiful car that is and what a beautiful cat you have  ( I am a huge cat-dog lover). I have been following your build since the beginning and have learned quite a few things and want to say thank you.       Jeff

Keep up the good work. 

Jeff, that is an incredibly nice thing to say, thank you, and , you're welcome. My cat is smiling.

Looks excellent Gene. Everything looks topnotch..

Thanks Carl, yer the best man! I'm gonna try and put a 'chute' on the back, I have one from (?) can't remember at the moment, lol, but , it will be black, (if I can get it on there).  :lol:

Thanks for all the responces I've gotten on this build, it's been a challenge, I appreiciate them. 

Edited by Speedfreak

Yes it did Kevin, but, I bought an aftermarket chute that you construct yourself from (I looked it up) Pro-Tech, they're more realistic than the one the kits come with and cost only $4. I've got it painted Tan 'cause I was gonna use it on another car and didn't, so , I'm gonna paint it black and use it on the Mustang, that's the plan anyway.  

Yes it did Kevin, but, I bought an aftermarket chute that you construct yourself from (I looked it up) Pro-Tech, they're more realistic than the one the kits come with and cost only $4. I've got it painted Tan 'cause I was gonna use it on another car and didn't, so , I'm gonna paint it black and use it on the Mustang, that's the plan anyway.  

OK, thanks for that information. I may have to hunt some down, as I have several gassers to eventually do that might benefit from them.

I like your 2nd number choice much better Gene.  Real nice build.

Thanks a lot JC, I don't think the 4 looked that bad, just not very realistic I guess, (" hey, what's with the giant 4 on the red Mustang?). I got the 285 from the Double Dragster kit, along with the snorting horse.  

I'm in the process of painting the parachute now, I made some little brackets for it that mount onto the back plate, and then attach near the bumper. It's my first time doing a parachute like this, it's not too bad so far. Peace. 

what can I say here...its just a plain knock out, Gene.  all the long hours of hard work and set backs are a faded memory now, the finished car is a beaut....now seeing the decal combo actually on the car, its just perfect,,,, hope at one point I  slap one together even half as nice.....best always, the Ace.....:rolleyes:

what can I say here...its just a plain knock out, Gene.  all the long hours of hard work and set backs are a faded memory now, the finished car is a beaut....now seeing the decal combo actually on the car, its just perfect,,,, hope at one point I  slap one together even half as nice.....best always, the Ace.....:rolleyes:

Wow, thanks Ace, I think what may have saved the horse livery, (lol) , is the fact that it had 'white' accents that I couldn't see with the backing paper, so , once applied you have red/white/and black as the main colors on the body, that's a strong color combo.  

As far as you building one half as good,...I thought of your red Falcon many times on this build. I don't think you need to worry about that. ;) Thanks for all the input, I'm not sure I would have this car without it.  

I've almost got the 'chute ready to mount, I will post a few pics soon. 

Edited by Speedfreak