Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

Thanks Kevin. If I get nothing out of this build other than what is seen in the picture below, I'm satisfied with that. This doesn't have to be the centerpiece of my builds. The real problem is that I don't like the cars stance, which is something that needs to be addressed early on, well , since I've never built the kit, I didn't know the effect of 'not' addressing those problem's, now I do. So, even if I successfully fix the remaining paint problem, I'm still not gonna really like it. The question then becomes is it worth the effort? I'm beginning to think not. the stance just makes it look 'goofish' and 'toyish' know what I mean? 

incase1.jpg

looks good....Nice save.   I had all these kits when model king did them...I need to build the ones I have left and re supply my stash of the ones I sold off. They are simple but always look really good when they are finished.

Thanks Kevin. If I get nothing out of this build other than what is seen in the picture below, I'm satisfied with that. This doesn't have to be the centerpiece of my builds. The real problem is that I don't like the cars stance, which is something that needs to be addressed early on, well , since I've never built the kit, I didn't know the effect of 'not' addressing those problem's, now I do. So, even if I successfully fix the remaining paint problem, I'm still not gonna really like it. The question then becomes is it worth the effort? I'm beginning to think not. the stance just makes it look 'goofish' and 'toyish' know what I mean? 

incase1.jpg

I know exactly what you mean about the stance and the "toyish" look. It's a combination of factors.

1. The chassis wheelbase is too short for the body. The rear wheels crowd the front of the (too large) wheel openings, whereas the front wheels seem to sit a few inches too far rearward, where they should be crowding the front edge (or at least centered).

2. AMT didn't "Z" the front half of the frame up, which puts the front end of the car too high. Very few of the real '65 Mustang funnies (and almost NONE of the '66s) sat this high in the front.

3. The suicide front end doesn't help with the height, and it seems a bit too narrow as well. Few if any of the Mustang funnies ran a suicide front end, most seemed to have used twin leaf-spring suspension (somewhat like the Nova funny car kit).

4. The comically oversized traction bars and the front axle radius rods add to the toylike look IMHO. Many guys seem to paint the traction bars silver or some other eye-catching color, whereas black would help hide them.

When I get around to building mine, I'm gonna basically scratchbuild the whole front half of the chassis and use a leaf spring front end. Gonna cut down those traction bars or replace them entirely with something more realistic. Thinking about reducing the size of the rear wheel openings somewhat, though I might just live with that if I can find some slicks that come close to filling them.

looks good....Nice save.   I had all these kits when model king did them...I need to build the ones I have left and re supply my stash of the ones I sold off. They are simple but always look really good when they are finished.

Thanks Dave, hope yours turn out well for you.

I know exactly what you mean about the stance and the "toyish" look. It's a combination of factors.

1. The chassis wheelbase is too short for the body. The rear wheels crowd the front of the (too large) wheel openings, whereas the front wheels seem to sit a few inches too far rearward, where they should be crowding the front edge (or at least centered).

2. AMT didn't "Z" the front half of the frame up, which puts the front end of the car too high. Very few of the real '65 Mustang funnies (and almost NONE of the '66s) sat this high in the front.

3. The suicide front end doesn't help with the height, and it seems a bit too narrow as well. Few if any of the Mustang funnies ran a suicide front end, most seemed to have used twin leaf-spring suspension (somewhat like the Nova funny car kit).

4. The comically oversized traction bars and the front axle radius rods add to the toylike look IMHO. Many guys seem to paint the traction bars silver or some other eye-catching color, whereas black would help hide them.

When I get around to building mine, I'm gonna basically scratchbuild the whole front half of the chassis and use a leaf spring front end. Gonna cut down those traction bars or replace them entirely with something more realistic. Thinking about reducing the size of the rear wheel openings somewhat, though I might just live with that if I can find some slicks that come close to filling them.

Snake, you hit the nail(s) right on the head man. I'd like to see someone build one of these with all the things you mention addressed, thanks.

Here's another idea I've been contemplating, feel free to steal it from me 'cause I might never get around to it:

The AMT AWB Mustang body comes darn close to fitting the AMT Double Dragster Fiat altered chassis. Combining these two would give you an early funny not unlike the "Psycho" or "Colt .45" Mustangs.

Just sayin'....B)

I know Speed City Resin offers a replacement chassis-I don't know if it addresses all the problems of the original, but it  is square tubing and on the website it says it is " kicked up in front, to lower the stance." I have a couple of these kits and I am considering buying the replacement. Has anyone out there tried it?

I know Speed City Resin offers a replacement chassis-I don't know if it addresses all the problems of the original, but it  is square tubing and on the website it says it is " kicked up in front, to lower the stance." I have a couple of these kits and I am considering buying the replacement. Has anyone out there tried it?

James, I have one of his frames for the Hemi Hustler kit and it's pretty good. I also used his tires on this Mustang. 

Here's another idea I've been contemplating, feel free to steal it from me 'cause I might never get around to it:

The AMT AWB Mustang body comes darn close to fitting the AMT Double Dragster Fiat altered chassis. Combining these two would give you an early funny not unlike the "Psycho" or "Colt .45" Mustangs.

Just sayin'....B)

Snake, I've restled with this thing long enough, at some point in the future I may tear it down and fix it, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. 

I don;'t know, it looks good to me, very similar (if I recall properly), to the way mine was, way back when.

Thanks Kevin, it looks good to me too, I can live with it, it's not like Harry is showing up tomorrow for a pictorial in MCM, lol. 

Truth is, I'm torn, (and , frayed) , so , I'll just let it rest for a while. 

I do however appreciate all the comments, and , suggestions , truely.