Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello all, Im 35 years old from the desert in southern California. I have been building since the age of 8 . Much of my interest is geared toward what most call nostalgia drag racing. Straight axle gassers,  front engine fuelers, altereds, with pro streets and pro mod type door cars thrown in too. Over 1/2 of my builds were inspired by my late uncle, many of his models were passed down to me before he lost his life to cancer. I hope that you all enjoy my builds, as few of them are "completed" with detail.  I one day intend to give all of them the detail and attention they deserve. Thanks! Nate

Nathan...Welcome!  Sorry to hear about your uncle....I am glad you have his oldies and hold them as treasures.  I have my dads oldies to restore once I find what they need...they are treasures to me too...if I have to Ill be working on restoring them till my time comes.  Looking forward to seeing them and your builds.

Hello all, Im 35 years old from the desert in southern California. I have been building since the age of 8 . Much of my interest is geared toward what most call nostalgia drag racing. Straight axle gassers,  front engine fuelers, altereds, with pro streets and pro mod type door cars thrown in too. Over 1/2 of my builds were inspired by my late uncle, many of his models were passed down to me before he lost his life to cancer. I hope that you all enjoy my builds, as few of them are "completed" with detail.  I one day intend to give all of them the detail and attention they deserve. Thanks! Nate

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another So Cal builder. I too live in this So Cal desert, Victorville. Maybe someday I'll see ya at Ground Control or at show coming up. The next show is Sep 19 in Ontario. Look for Route 66 Cruisin Reunion car show, Ontario Ca.

Edited by Petetrucker07

29 Palms - the gateway to Yucca Valley! (Very old Jack Benny line.) At least YV has a hobby store, even if mostly R/C stuff. I love that area and used to live in Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley. Did you or your uncle know the old drag racer Charlie Hutson who lived up there?

I was in 29 Palms once, I'd rather have root canal ..

29 Palms - the gateway to Yucca Valley! (Very old Jack Benny line.) At least YV has a hobby store, even if mostly R/C stuff. I love that area and used to live in Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley. Did you or your uncle know the old drag racer Charlie Hutson who lived up there?

unortunately not. My uncle resided in the bay area near Napa.  He never made it down here.  I had the pleasure of knowing "jocko" Johnson before he passed. Visited his house often and even got some flat head ford parts from him years ago. 

unortunately not. My uncle resided in the bay area near Napa.  He never made it down here.  I had the pleasure of knowing "jocko" Johnson before he passed. Visited his house often and even got some flat head ford parts from him years ago. 

thanks for the welcome, haven't been to ground control since they moved to yucca 

@modeler, there is one in particular I finished for him before he passed. He was a big Jungle Jim Leiberman fan. I finished a 1/16 Jungle Vega Funny Car and brought it to him. Currently my cousin has it.  One of these days it will join the others in my display case. 

This was originally my uncle's build, so far I have swapped a more detailed big block and heads, polar lights wheels and tires as well as the rear end from a fc kit. Next is scratch building a set of fenderwell dump headers. Slowly but surely. Not sure on the color choice yet. Still experimenting with it. 

0826151117d.jpg

This was a fairly recent build, mostly out of the box with a few changes here and there. Changed the front wheel and tire setup, went with full competition pro mod type headers instead of the block huggers that came with the kit. Reformed the exhaust to meet up with those. Also I opted for dual air cleaners rather than the scoop.  Just have to finish up trim and details on the body & install the glass. 

0823151704b.jpg

It must be a part of the rendezvous right? I own a 1:1 65 Buick Riviera,  I've always wanted to take it down for that event. I always have something that prevents me from going

im not sure if it is or not. I will be there with a few builds, I'm thinkin 5 or 6. 3 big trucks, 2 cars and a pickup.

Edited by Petetrucker07