Model Cars Magazine Forum

First detailed look - Revell's '29 Model A Hot Rod Roadster ...updated with photos of completed builds of both kit versions

tim boyd

Thank you for the review and great photos. It looks pretty good, and it's definitely a great starting point for building a period hot-rod.

But at the risk of starting another flame war, I see multiple relatively minor issues that those of us who look at the real ones day-in, day-out, and want a really accurate-appearing body shell will have to correct. But I may be wrong. 

I see a couple of things on the nailhead that make me cringe too. The exhaust port spacing is noticeably wrong (the paired end ports are slightly too close together, and the center ports are slightly too far apart). Since this is a major signature of the nailhead look, it would be nice to have it right...and it'll be the devil to fix. It's also unfortunate the block has big holes molded into it for the mounts. Makes it a little harder to swap it into something else.

It's certainly good enough for me to buy several just for parts...and as soon as I have one, I'll post a detailed correction of the body...and exhaust port measurements...if my impression that some corrections are necessary is correct...as I have access to real cars (and engines) to measure.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks very much for your very thorough description and analysis of this wonderful and long-awaited new kit Tim.  It appears that, in order to be able to take full advantage of the many build variations and parts in this kit, many of us will definitely be buying several of them.  Revell has obviously done their homework and has hit a home run with this new release.

I would've preferred more engine/driveline parts options vs. the low-boy parts.  I don't care for the decals.  I plan to build mine as a mid-fifties AV8 using parts from Revell's 40 Ford kits and the other  one in a more modern style.

BUT... I think it's a great kit overall...the "extra" parts are kinda interesting too.  Thanks Tim and Revell.

Thank you for the outstanding photo review, Tim! I can't wait to get my hands on a few of these.

For the most part I see nothing about this kit that bothers me to the point of worrying about correcting. I seriously think I will do a box-stock build up and add a great looking hot rod to my display case.

The only thing that truly bothers me (and I just don't get) is why the kit designer(s) decided to add raised cradles to the rear frame rails that the axle solidly sits on. Maybe it's because the coilovers are too fragile to support the weight of the back of the model? That's just hokey as hell. Structurally it wouldn't have been a problem with a Model A or T buggy spring back there. Just sayin'...

I am wondering how well the AMT '29 body will work with this kit.  Adapting the AMT body would be easier than fixing the wheel openings for traditional builds.  The interor would need to be cut free from the wheel opening inserts, and a bit of scratchbuilding would have to be done to fit the windshield and cowl together.  The floor would take some work too.  If the AMT body can be made to fit this kit fairly easily, it will open up a whole new set of possibilities.  I am hoping that the engine mounts and holes will be easily worked around too.  The neat thing abut "A" roadsters is that I've seen just about every V-8 from automotive history stuffed into one, and they all seem to be at home.  We had a local one that had a 421 Pontiac tri power, and a sedan that had a 455 Buick.  I have seen them with Caddys, Olds Rockets (The one from the '50 Custom version would look really nice in the '32 frame rails)  I even saw one with an AMC 390 in it, and it really moved out!  Engines that I think would look the part in one of these include AMT or Revell's '62 409,  An early hemi (From AMT's '57 300c, or elsewhere)  the supercharged motor from the Fireball Robets '57 Ford (Or the Del Rio)  The 327 from the '66 Nova with some old time parts, or a cobbled together injection setup,  The same motor from the Pro Street version would work in a more modern build.  The Hemi from Revell's Willys kits would be great in a competition oriented version of the car.  There are several flatties out there that would go nicely in this kit.  The motor from the 1957 Black Widow would make a nice motor if you aren't so opposed to vintage Chevy motors in Fords.  (They were the hot ticket in the early years, before they became the cheap and easy mass produced crate motor of the masses.)  Most of the parts pack motors would be happy sitting in a nice Model A.  

I am curious about the exhaust port spacing too.  It looks a bit off, but then I see some real cars where it looks  off, too.  Hopefully, it can be adjusted a bit by scratchbuilding some flanges and slightly bending the headers.  (Pinned of course)  Hopefully any boo boos on the block itself are small enough to hide behind a creatively proportioned exhaust  header flange.  I will wait and see the measurements before I make any final judgement.  

If you are going the vintage, or traditional route, there are a lot of neat parts here to work with.  The nailhead can be swapped into almost any pre war rod and be cool.  The wheels and tires look great, the headlights will make their way into many projects.  I am looking forward to seeing what shows up in the "Under Glass" section in the next few weeks.  

Thank you for the review and great photos. It looks pretty good, and it's definitely a great starting point for building a period hot-rod.

But at the risk of starting another flame war, I see multiple relatively minor issues that those of us who look at the real ones day-in, day-out, and want a really accurate-appearing body shell will have to correct. But I may be wrong. 

I see a couple of things on the nailhead that make me cringe too. The exhaust port spacing is noticeably wrong (the paired end ports are slightly too close together, and the center ports are slightly too far apart). Since this is a major signature of the nailhead look, it would be nice to have it right...and it'll be the devil to fix. It's also unfortunate the block has big holes molded into it for the mounts. Makes it a little harder to swap it into something else.

It's certainly good enough for me to buy several just for parts...and as soon as I have one, I'll post a detailed correction of the body...and exhaust port measurements...if my impression that some corrections are necessary is correct...as I have access to real cars (and engines) to measure.

Bill...interesting comments from your perspective as one who works on the 1/1 versions.  

I just did q quickly comparison of the exhaust port spacing between the heads and headers of this  kit, vs. the AMT-Ertl '66 Riviera Nailhead, and the original Revelll 1960's Nailhead Parts Pack engines.   There appear to be very small differences, but I couldn't come to a clear conclusion.  They appear almost a perfect match for the Parts Pack engine exhaust port spacing and cylinder head length, but slightly different than the AMT/Ertl kit.  I'm  tied up right now but I'll try to take some photos and post them this evening.

I do know that the engine was measured/photographed/scaled off real 401/425 Nailheadss under construction in a Midwestt Rod Shop.  The kit's engine received a great deal of effort to make sure it was right.

It will be very interesting to see the results of your measurements.   i do feel confident in saying that most modelers will find this to he the best Nailhead ever put in a kit, whether the exhaust port spacing ends up being correct, or slightly off.     

Thanks for your comments and insights on this   Cheers...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I'm very much looking forward tot his kit. I'll be buying more than one which for me is a very rare occurance. I have several planned projects that will benefit from the parts here. I do find the "patina" decals to be laughable, but the rest of the kit looks top notch. 

I have yet to use white wall decals on any kit, so we'll have to see how they look.

I'm very much looking forward tot his kit. I'll be buying more than one which for me is a very rare occurance. I have several planned projects that will benefit from the parts here. I do find the "patina" decals to be laughable, but the rest of the kit looks top notch. 

I have yet to use white wall decals on any kit, so we'll have to see how they look.

Rob...same here with the whitewall decals.  I think I am going to try them on my build.  I'll coat the sidewalls with Testors Semi-Glloss Clear before I apply the Whitewalls.  Not sure if I will assemble the wheel/tire set before doing the whitewall decalls, but that's the way I'm leaning right now.  Cheers...TIM 

Well I'll have to wait till they hit here in the Pacific NW, good comments everyone, I am rather disappointed  with regards to the rear wheel wells, I wish they had left them stock and let us grind them out if we so desire to do so. Yes probably easier to use an AMT '29 and fix that which is what I'll do for a vintage hot rod. Curious to see what come out on the Buick Nailhead issue.

One last note Tim do you suppose that the up coming 30/31 Coupe's rear wheel wells will be correct? The chopped roof I can handle. I'm not wanting to open another can of worms here.

By the way thanks Tim for the through review, I going to snap up two maybe three just for parts, can't wait.

A superb First Look, Tim. Well worth the time to peruse all 71(!) pages. A brilliant kit, detail objections not withstanding. Your comment at the start of your review that the kit is virtually 2 kits should be taken very seriously. I for one have amassed quite a little collection of AMT '29 A Roadsters and, based on your review, the AMT body shell looks quite compatible with either frame. Hopefully that will be the case and I can enjoy the best of what was one of AMT's finest kits combined with what promises to be Revell's newest and finest. For sure this kit will figure in my kit-bashing arsenal whether this is the case or not...

Thanx again,
B.

Thank you Tim. I will not sleep for days thinking about the way to build this. Not really but this is like christmas for old guys. :D

Now if we could just get the tire and wheel sets in a parts pack. How close are these tires to the rears in the Black Widow? 

One thing about the 32 Frame. many guys pinch the front of the frame when they put the model A body on these also. So that may be why the different look in the front, depending on what rod shop they were at when they measured a frame. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup

One thing about the 32 Frame. many guys pinch the front of the frame when they put the model A body on these also. So that may be why the different look in the front, depending on what rod shop they were at when they measured a frame. 

I have a genuine original '32 Ford frame sitting 20 feet away from me as I type this and the front frame horns absolutely turn out parallel at the ends where the spreader bar attaches so (pinched or not) that detail is 100% correct. 

Awesome review Tim, thanks.
 I'm very excited for this kit. The ribbed chrome pan and valve covers look great, and I'm stoked to see a 6x2 with separate air cleaners (no seams!)

Re: the frame horns: google "32 ford frame diagram" and you'll see that the horns do become parallel in front; however the effect is more subtle in reality than in the kit's depiction of it. I think maybe they placed the bend point too far forward, or perhaps the horns need to be tapered more. Like you said, a few swipes of the file will sort that out very quickly. The reveal looks great. It almost looks too shallow, but probably because I'm used to the too-chunky reveal in the old Revell '32 frames.

While I'm not super keen on the coilover rear in this application, the parts look SO nice that I'm already trying to imagine which of my current builds needs them swapped in.

I'm truly impressed by how sincerely this kit tackles the problems of building a traditional style hot rod. Must have been a headache to develop, but it' going to look great.

I'm truly impressed by how sincerely this kit tackles the problems of building a traditional style hot rod. Must have been a headache to develop, but it' going to look great.

Chris....I agree that the kit was indeed a headache to develop, but it was a good headache - or perhaps more accurately, my impression is that it was a labor of love for everyone inside Revell and the people they hired outside to help them to deliver it.  It's sad that Roger never lived to see the reaction to it from the modeling community - but what a wonderful legacy to leave to the hobby.    

All....thanks for your comments, particularly around the front frame horns.  Fellow Modeler and now 1/1 scale '32 Ford Highboy owner Fred Farrand just completed his 1/1 hot rod (it was in the Pete and Jake's booth at the Street Rod Nationals a couple weeks ago), I sure don't recall his frame horns looking like this, but then again it would not be the first time I've been wrong on something like this either.  I believe his frame has the pinched rails (and it has a way cool spreader bar), so when he brings the car by my house in the next week or so, I'll be looking with interest anew on this, and taking pictures if I find anything one way or the other.  

Glad you guys enjoyed the review.  If you like this sort of subject (and plainly many of you do), the best thing you can do is make sure the first kit run sells out quickly so Revell will be encouraged to look at additional future derivatives.  

Best to all...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Count me in, on the multiple purchase bandwagon.

Let me echo the others. Tim, Thank You for extensive review and photos.

Given my slow building speed, I see this kit bashed with the upcoming Coupe, and the Roadster with the Blown engine.

It will be fun, that much is sure.

Alan

Reading through Tim's review again at a much slower pace and studying all of the pictures thoroughly I have to express how much I truly can't wait to get a hold of a few of these in the coming weeks.

Comparing the two box models I think I like the channeled version the most. Maybe it's just the way that the builder chose to decorate it with some "patina" but it just looks tough,all business. I also think the stance is better than the '32 frame version with a proper forward rake. The '32 frame version looks like it sits totally flat which then plays tricks on the eyes making it look like the back end squats.  

I think I'll build the channeled one first with two modifications that will make it look even tougher:

- Chopped '32 grill

- Chopped windshield by an 1/8th or so.