Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '87 Olds Cutlass

gasman

Too late to chime in on this one?

I've wanted a '78-'88 RWD Cutlass in styrene as long as I've been building models (1988 or so).

I can live with a promo style chassis/engine... the chassis from the reissued MPC Monte or the Trumpeter '78 Monte, combined with a parts box stand in for the Olds 307 (externally similar to the engine in the '69 442 kits aside from smog equipment, ect.) would should net a pretty nice Cutty!

Or, I'd be just as happy with a promo- style buildup. I never look under them when I finish them, anyway!

Too late to chime in on this one?

I've wanted a '78-'88 RWD Cutlass in styrene as long as I've been building models (1988 or so).

I can live with a promo style chassis/engine... the chassis from the reissued MPC Monte or the Trumpeter '78 Monte, combined with a parts box stand in for the Olds 307 (externally similar to the engine in the '69 442 kits aside from smog equipment, ect.) would should net a pretty nice Cutty!

Or, I'd be just as happy with a promo- style buildup. I never look under them when I finish them, anyway!

Yeah, a promo style would be fine with me....most '80s engine compartments weren't much to look at anyway, just black, silver, gray under the hood... these cars (and the similar Regals, Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs) were popular cars when I was in high school in the '80s and in college..knew several friends that had 'em back in the day.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 month later...

I had a 1:1 of a cutlass supreme classic. I wish I never get rid of it :angry: . I really wish revell would release the this kit already, But good things come to those who wait. That would be awsome if they do a 4 in 1.. stock, race, lowrider and a 442 version. Wait.. hold me back I have to come back to reallity.. im going to my happy place <_< Lets just keep waiting and hope thay do come out with something soon.. Take care guys :P

• 4 weeks later...
the car exists and its not cancelled

Luis, then where is it? I talked to Biggs about it at NNL East and he told me it's definitely coming out too. But I've been waiting for boxart, promo pics, Anthony's version of it, etc., etc, anything really? I really want this kit to bash into an '84 Hurst Olds and I think a bunch of us are just curious what the hold-up is?

• 3 weeks later...
any ideas on when this will be on the shelves? like alot of others i'd like to do a drag car with this, but also a few lowriders :)

Dave

Well, it's not in Revell's catalog for '09 and hasn't been announced for '09, so who knows? I'd like to do a stock one and a beater...

And I'm wondering why Revell hasn't announced more new subjects--where's the '10 Camaro SS and '10 Mustang GT and GT500? The new and reissued oldies recently announced are great, but I want modern cars!

Rob, i don't believe it's going to show up in Revell's catalog or lineup. from what i got reading this is that it's a special run of kits that will be distributed not by Revell, but by the poster. looks to be a deal like the white box Thunderbolts or the Hobby Heaven '70 Ford's.

Dave

That sounds very odd to me, frankly. The Thunderbolts and '70 Ford were reissues of existing tools, this is something previously unreleased. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Rob

Rob, i don't believe it's going to show up in Revell's catalog or lineup. from what i got reading this is that it's a special run of kits that will be distributed not by Revell, but by the poster. looks to be a deal like the white box Thunderbolts or the Hobby Heaven '70 Ford's.

Dave

Someone who used to work for Revell and is a lot closer to insiders there say no matter what anyone claims, that Cutlass isn't likely to ever get issued. If it was dumbed-down for diecast and lowrider/donk duty, perhaps Revell has decided they don't want their name on what they perceive to be an inferior product. I guess if it ends up on the shelves that people will be happy, but when it comes to any new model kit from the domestics, I don't believe much of anything until it's actually on the shelves. There have been way too many cancellations and delays after a kit has been announced. The Japanese don't play that game, they announce something when it's already well on the way to being on the shelf. Generally there's about a 3-4 month gap between the announcement and the kit on the shelf. How refreshing would it be if the domestics were as confident about their upcoming product?

Bob i was trying to be optimistic :blink:

Dave

Okay, here's a little optimism... ;) Maybe Revell will do some retooling and do the kit justice, just at a later date. It would seem odd that they wouldn't utilize at least some of what they already have. But they've been beaten bloody with commentary on some of their best kits like the '49 Mercury and '69 Nova and '57 Chevy Black Widow and '32 5-window because they are not absolutely perfect, they don't have the kitchen sink range of options and you can't jump in and fire it up and drive it away...if their good kits manage to get some people so riled up with venom, I can imagine what some guys who want an '87 stock 442 will post on these forums if it came out as an "almost diecast" kit with fad-like custom stuff to make it only a lowrider or donk. We'd never hear the end of it... :P

• 2 months later...
I too would like a couple to make into Sunday Special Bracket Racers.

I would buy several if I could find them. I have a 1987 drag car that I am building. It should roll out of the shop next spring. I would love to build an exact replica of my car. Here are a few pics of my car.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/o...0410081544a.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/o...0429081839b.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/o...10081544a22.jpg

Edited by Gutless Cutlass

• 3 weeks later...
I would buy several if I could find them. I have a 1987 drag car that I am building. It should roll out of the shop next spring. I would love to build an exact replica of my car. Here are a few pics of my car.

Same here.... and I've never even owned an '82-'88 Cutty! Wouldn't mind an '83 Hurst/Olds... hey,if Revell ever pops this puppy, there's your second hit off the tooling! And a '79 Hurst would pretty much be able to use everything from the alleged '87 Cutlass but the body and brightwork. Two likely scenarios, and one that's a bit off the wall.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only modeler who'd like to have an '87 Cutlass, '79 Hurst, or '83 Hurst on my shelf! But if push came to shove, I'd be happy with just the '87, pleasethankyouverymuch :lol: !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It was toy-like with a custom interior (amps/speakers) and extremely simplified detail. There's a good chance the interior was a non-stock generic unit that would be shared with the Buick Regal that was to come out at the same time. It was also slab-sided like diecasts are, and didn't really look all that promising, truth be told.

Revised statement: let's hope it's still not a no-go, but they take the time to do it right.

Charlie Larkin