Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 79 FirebirdT/A

Hey, I was just working on one of those a couple minuts ago, 3 of them actually. :)

I wouldn't be too upset about those pad printed tires not being included. By '79 radials were standard equipment on just about everything built in North America.

That said, I wish they had  better tires to put in it. A nice set of BFG Radial T/As or something similar would have been nice.

This kit dates back 37 years ( !! ) . I'm surprised at the lack of BFG's , as it seemed that MPC was using them almost exclusively starting in c.1982 (yes , this kit's been reissued since its 1978 debut) , correct or otherwise (e.g. , 1984 Corvette with BFG's ?!? No.Way.)

If you don't want for those Motor Wheels Spyders (the custom wheels) , I'll gladly take 'em off your hands .

• 2 weeks later...

This kit reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode in which a guy travels back into the past but finds out it's not what he expected it would be. The kit dates back to 1970 which is first year second generation Firebird.

The original kit tires were Goodyear whitewalls with Rallye wheels, a combo which I think lasted to 1972. The Rallye wheels were modified (not to the better also) and fatter hollow tires were introduced in 1973. Then came snowflake/turbine wheels in 1977 on.

I bought a few of these kits for reasons other than building a stock 1979. They are a parts source for glass, chassis, engine and other parts to rebuild any 1970-1981 Firebird.

It is what it is. Remember, it also was the base of promos.

Roll Cage, but no Racing Seat?

No optional Steering Wheel?

Only one set of tires?(and the wrong ones at that)

Almost Thirty Bucks Retail?

C'mon, Kats! You can do better than this.

I really love the many 'new' kits that you guys have put out! I've bought far more than I really should have, partially to show support for Round2 and boost sales, partially because I just had to have the kit, regardless of whether I already had one in the stash or not..

Others (the Manx Buggy, Flameout) I've bought because I never got a chance to own the original issues.

I respect the tremendous amount of effort that has gone into resurrecting older kits. New Tool parts,(mostly wheels) Vastly improved Decal Sheets,Restoration of missing parts, Vintage Box Art, it has all worked for me. It sold me two '49 Mercs when I already owned 8 unbuilt. It sold me another pair of Studebaker Avanti's when I had at least three unbuilt. It even sold me the '65 Mustang Gasser, a car style (Gasser) and make (Ford) that I normally don't prefer.

If this kit represents what we can expect in the Future, I'm going to be buying a lot more Revell '29 Fords.

The whole presentation on the Firebird Kit smacks of "Half-A$$ing It". The thoughtful matching of parts and options that marked many other releases, is missing from this kit. While the decal Sheet is indeed spectacular,it does not in anyway justify the purchase of this kit. The 'Disco' Box Art is again, nice, but no more than nice.  I feel like there are two teams at Round2. One Goes All-In, and the other is just there for the LOL's so to speak. The 1936 Ford, the '49 Merc, both the Studes, these are first team. The second team looks to have done the Three Stooges '40 Ford (nice decals tho) the Pepsi Stock Car, and now the Firebird. 

Please, Round2, I know that not every kit can be a homerun, but in this instance, the lack of effort shows. And shows badly.

At almost 30.00, I cannot afford to buy this as a parts donor for older kits, as I would have in the old days. Cut the price to fit what it is, or add some more parts back into it, and make it a real 2'n'1 kit.

Alan

Edited by alexis
misspellings

I really love the many 'new' kits that you guys have put out! I've bought far more than I really should have, partially to show support for Round2 and boost sales, partially because I just had to have the kit, regardless of whether I already had one in the stash or not..

Others (the Manx Buggy, Flameout) I've bought because I never got a chance to own the original issues.

I respect the tremendous amount of effort that has gone into resurrecting older kits. New Tool parts,(mostly wheels) Vastly improved Decal Sheets,Restoration of missing parts, Vintage Box Art, it has all worked for me. It sold me two '49 Mercs when I already owned 8 unbuilt. It sold me another pair of Studebaker Avanti's when I had at least three unbuilt. It even sold me the '65 Mustang Gasser, a car style (Gasser) and make (Ford) that I normally don't prefer.

If this kit represents what we can expect in the Future, I'm going to be buying a lot more Revell '29 Fords.

The whole presentation on the Firebird Kit smacks of "Half-A$$ing It". The thoughtful matching of parts and options that marked many other releases, is missing from this kit. While the decal Sheet is indeed spectacular,it does not in anyway justify the purchase of this kit. The 'Disco' Box Art is again, nice, but no more than nice.  I feel like there are two teams at Round2. One Goes All-In, and the other is just there for the LOL's so to speak. The 1936 Ford, the '49 Merc, both the Studes, these are first team. The second team looks to have done the Three Stooges '40 Ford (nice decals tho) the Pepsi Stock Car, and now the Firebird. 

Please, Round2, I know that not every kit can be a homerun, but in this instance, the lack of effort shows. And shows badly.

At almost 30.00, I cannot afford to buy this as a parts donor for older kits, as I would have in the old days. Cut the price to fit what it is, or add some more parts back into it, and make it a real 2'n'1 kit.

Alan

....nobody truly loves AMT and  MPC reissues any more than I do. the Kats at ROUND2 are to be commended on reissues for the most part,,,,but Alan, you are certainly correct on this one, and some of their others too. the kits that are great, well, are usually even better than their original, but in some cases they are not worth the money. this Firebird is one of them.....great decals, but that's where the party ends.....the Ace....:huh:

James Garner didn't like the '79-81 Firebirds, and I guess nobody else really does either. If they could have revised it back to the 1970-1973 form, it would sell like wildfire.

....and you win a cigar, Bob,,,, any 70-73 MPC reissue would have been a very exciting addition to our kit collections,,,,the 70 had the KNAFEL TIN INDIAN drag decals, and the 72 was the ROYAL super stocker......but we get a slow, boring t top disco cruiser....the Ace.....:huh:

James Garner didn't like the '79-81 Firebirds, and I guess nobody else really does either. If they could have revised it back to the 1970-1973 form, it would sell like wildfire.

Now there is a difference between James Garner, everybody else, and me.

Alan

I believe the cage is leftover from the 75 (possibly earlier one tho) version that could be made as a stock car. If it is there, I am happy. Very versatile cage that is easily modified to other kits.

I like the separate flares and spoiler, with some work on the side vents and hood, could be a plain Firebird too.

Direct reissue of a kit not made for quite some time? I'll take it

As for the tires, I like those and the wider version (found in the Goon car) for builds that I want a matching but wider rear tire.

I'll get one or two.... maybe I need a 79 roundy round build.....

Edited by Sledsel

73 issue, Tiny Lund maybe? Someone will correct me/crush me. Really wish it was 70-73 Trans-Am. Saw McQ the other day and his Green 455. RIP John Wayne.

The roll cage parts first appeared in the '73 Firebird and Camaro kits.  I think the Camaro was a Tiny Lund car, the Firebird might have been Buck Baker.

• 2 weeks later...

i liked the decal, but for 30 bucks, I posted an Idea, that round 2 shoulkd have a vote system like revell monogram did for the foose releases, of 2016. They should have a list of all their cars and with the top 25 getting the votes release them, with the new tires decals seats make them 3 n 1 to justify the 30 dollar price tag, but not only one subject say cars, also the semi line and funny cars I say all models across the board, 

I notice a few complaints about what's not in the kit, but I think what we're getting is quite a bargain, we get a set of decals that would probably cost us $15 on the aftermarket, AND we get a pretty good start on a Firebird Trans Am, and an honest one at that, it seems the biggest complaint is the tires, I look at it like we got the model for around $15, after the decals were paid for, so we can afford to pick up some of Round2's excellent muscle car tires and they come two sets to a package so we're getting a good deal there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Those tires were used in the 90's AMT Chevy C1500 and Ford F150 kits, and I was never a fan of them.

That's it! I knew I'd seen them in a pick up kit. I had a few of the F150 kits years ago. Thanks for that confirmation and memory jog.

Truck tires in a Trans Am kit? I'll reiterate my slight disappointment with this choice.