Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few pics of the real Pontiac Sloper.

Hello Tom. Are you a Pontiac enthusiast?  Yes that body style was only produced in Australia. It was made by GM-Holdens, GM's Aussie arm. the Sloper bodies were made here from 1935 to 1941 in 2 distinct styles, 1935-37 and 1937-41. Whatever the car was in North America for that year the front clip was the same in Australia. The Slopers were available in Chev, Vauxhall (very few), Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick styles with the body from the firewall back being pressed here. Over the 6 years of production GM-H produced only about 7,200 of these bodies. There were 85 Pontiac Slopers built in 1939, all 6 cylinder cars with only 3 left now. She's in very good shape for a 76 year old car and had no body damage when I purchased her from a fellow in Townsville Nth Queensland in October 2012. Unfortunately, some unco person dropped something heavy on her roof just above the left hand door somewhere in transit from Townsville to Newcastle. The original owners, two spinster sisters in Brisbane who bought her new drove her around for 50 years without putting a mark on her and some hamfisted clown puts a dent in her on the two week trip down the east coast. I could have cried when I saw that dent Oh well, that's life I guess.

Regards,

RHB.

Edited by RHB785

Thanks fellas. I have a couple of pics of a '39 Ford sloper at a car show here in Newcastle earlier this year on my mobile phone. I just have to work out how to upload them to my computer as I've misplaced the driver disc I got with the phone.

Regards,

RHB.