Model Cars Magazine Forum

NART Corvette 17 years in the making!

GlueTube

The body on paint.Unfortunately my photographic skills or lack thereof do not do justice to the color. It pops! Used a top coat of Humbrol red over Humbrol orange in an attempt to get bright red.

Nart_fresh_paint.thumb.jpg.75dcb3bc9950d

Nart_head_marker_grille_work.thumb.jpg.a

This shot shows the grill work, headlamps, and side marker.

Nart_head__grille_work_front.thumb.jpg.3

Head on shot of grill work and headlamps.

Nart_Wind_Deflector.thumb.jpg.50cf3f1dad

Here you can see the install of the wind deflector. The clear plastic was salvaged from a packaging lid with display window. The mounts are wine bottle lead foil.

Nart_Side_Dump_Install.thumb.jpg.d71bfdb

Side dump install. My first attempt using Alclad paint. Number panel light is scratch built as is the mirror pedestal.

Nart_Side_Dump_Install_Viwe_2.thumb.jpg.

A view of the underside.

Nart_Decals.thumb.jpg.c0e0b73792c23509da

I use a an old rolled up pillow slip cover as an infinitely adjustable stand, while I finish the last of the details such as decals and photo etch placements.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. I am very lucky to have had a ton of reference photos come out on the web in the last 3 years. Pickings for reference were sparse when I first decided to do the project.

What did you find most challenging detail to overcome on your build?.....for me it was that god awful front spoiler.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. I am very lucky to have had a ton of reference photos come out on the web in the last 3 years. Pickings for reference were sparse when I first decided to do the project.

What did you find most challenging detail to overcome on your build?.....for me it was that god awful front spoiler.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian - Here is a link to my NART Corvette build. http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/corvette_models/nart_corvette/ I have since corrected the front stripe. I am not happy how the headlights turned out. Should have cut the covers into the body rather mounting on top. The front spoiler was made from floppy disc material.

Regards - Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Home stretch! On goes the spoiler. This is the part of the project I found most challenging. I used 010 sheet styrene and covered it with Bare Metal Foil.....I am not totally happy with the results....think I'll do Alclad nest time I have a large expanse of sheet aluminum to replicate.

Nart_Spoiler.thumb.jpg.928b325129e2730b7

I think your BMF turned out great and does look like sheet aluminium.

I'm planning to start my Grand Sport Vette after a project or 2 and wanted to do an air dam just like yours.  Some one here did an entire body in BMF and it turned out bitchen!

Other options for this are Tamiya AS flat aluminium and Model Masters buffing aluminium.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Brian and Ed, the rivets come from Model Car Garage photo etch. I think one of the things I dislike about the BMF covered spoiler is that I covered the rivets, rather than leave then exposed as I did on the headlamp cover hinges and tops of the number panel lamps.

Mitch, the headlamp covers, "Greenwood Bumps" came from the Greenwood Corvette kit. The actual NART car mounted them as per I have done with hinges in the front and screws in the rear. I wish they were vacuum formed from thin sheet stock, rather than injection molded, for a more realistic look.

Regards

Brian Kroon

Okay, I have the Greenwood kit but haven't opened it up yet. The Owens Corning kit didn't have them IIRC.

I thought the flatter part of the clear cover went to the front and the tear drop part went to the back. Thanks for the clarification.

No the Owens Corning kit does not have them.  They are in this kit.

rm_vette71_box.jpg

Edited by afx

Okay, I have the Greenwood kit but haven't opened it up yet. The Owens Corning kit didn't have them IIRC.

I thought the flatter part of the clear cover went to the front and the tear drop part went to the back. Thanks for the clarification.

Ok Mitch, I now get what you are driving at. I wrestled with the same issue until the reality of making the "bumps" fit over my headlamps came into play. So I just fit them so they would work and clear the headlamps. (which are almost 5 scale inches in diameter)  Visually I really didn't think it mattered as they looked good either way!

Regards

Brian

Either way it looks great Brian. I opened my Greenwood kit up last night,  I want to do the same thing you did and make head lights instead of using the decal that looks like head lights. I bought the BFG Fred Caddy decal set for mine. Now I know what I may be up against when I go to fit the covers on my build.

Edited by Reeves Racing