Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do when they ask?

Build a model for me?

Friends, coworkers etc. I have no problem turning down. But family? That's harder. My mothers first cousin had for a long time, a '66 Chevelle. Bone stock. He loved it, but there was something wrong with it. A paint job just wouldn't last. He'd have a paint job done and in just a few years, it would fade out. No matter how well he took care of it. On his last try he had the whole body media blasted to bare metal and resprayed by a very well thought of custom shop. He took out a bank loan to pay for it. Three years later it faded out again. At some point he just assumed that there was some sort of impurity in the metal. and sold it off.

Now he wants me to build him a model of it. He asked me privately once via Facebook, and I politely turned him down. This time he asks me in front of the entire family at a party. All the while going on about how much he likes and respects my work. Man, that is a low-down dirty trick. What a snake.

I'm thinking that I should build it with the faded paint, just to spite him. How do you guys handle it when this occurs?

I let people know the cost and time it takes to build and I don't give my time away for nothing. That usually cuts it off in the bud.

Yeah, the time thing usually helps people understand. They figure 3-4 hours so when I say 40-plus, they usually don't want to impose on me that bad. Maybe ask if you can trade time. In return he can donate 40 hours of his time to help you build a deck. :o

While I know other builders who will occasionally build a model for other people, and some builders who often build models for other people who would pay to have them built, I'm NOT one of them. I simply tell them that I don't have enough time to build models for myself, yet alone someone else, and I stick to it.

I would say to build it correctly I need parts from 4 or 5 vintage collectable kits and about 100 dollars worth of aftermarket parts and supplies. See if he's still interested at that point.

Perfect!!

That would be a terrific response!

He'll put his tail between his legs & run for home. :)

Steve

I don't have a problem building kits for people. I enjoy it. But if they want crazy custom work, or some sort of period piece I'll tell em how it is as far as materials price. Especially if I have to get the paint custom mixed. My local body shop supply house can mix paint and put it in a rattle can for me so I've done that before. 

I have a guy wanting me to build a '57 Chevy Nomad in the style of Dean Jefferies or George Barris... I said man I'm not that good with plastic and customizing but I'll give it a go. I havent charged him anything yet in case I screw it up, but for folks wanting a simple paint job and nice wheels, I'll ask for money up front for supplies. Typically I'll barter the labor in building... if you can call it labor. I turn the TV on and build. But in most cases, I tell people don't be in a hurry for them though. If they rush me, I am not inclined to build it. 

I think you oughta build him his chevelle. He cared a lot for the car and wants something to remember it by, and feels that you're an expert enough to finally let him have his chevelle with nice paint he always wanted.  

I've built a couple models for my Dad (airplanes he flew), and a couple for my son (cars he owned). These of course were labors of love.

When anyone else asks, I say, "It takes me 40 or more hours to build one of these models, and that's a simple, easy one. I've got enough stuff I WANT to build for ME to last me the rest of my life. If you want me to give you an estimate on price, we'll talk."

You can always just say "no".

I finally had to learn to do that without explanation when "friends" would continually ask me to look at, listen to, work on or advise them on their turd cars.

There are two people on Earth whose cars I'll work on as a "favor", and they'd both do pretty much anything for me. And have.

Everybody else gets "no".

Build a model for me?

Friends, coworkers etc. I have no problem turning down. But family? That's harder. My mothers first cousin had for a long time, a '66 Chevelle. Bone stock. He loved it, but there was something wrong with it. A paint job just wouldn't last. He'd have a paint job done and in just a few years, it would fade out. No matter how well he took care of it. On his last try he had the whole body media blasted to bare metal and resprayed by a very well thought of custom shop. He took out a bank loan to pay for it. Three years later it faded out again. At some point he just assumed that there was some sort of impurity in the metal. and sold it off.

Now he wants me to build him a model of it. He asked me privately once via Facebook, and I politely turned him down. This time he asks me in front of the entire family at a party. All the while going on about how much he likes and respects my work. Man, that is a low-down dirty trick. What a snake.

I'm thinking that I should build it with the faded paint, just to spite him. How do you guys handle it when this occurs?

Another thing to consider is you might open the flood gates if you start building for family. I would tell him sorry but  I build for myself and not others. However I would suggest you offer to help him if he wants to get a kit and build it himself. If he doesn't want to do that suggect he get a diecast.

I guess I'm a bit less "shy" than you. I would have asked him why he felt the need to ask a question I had already answered and explained why I said NO to before, and if he was planning to keep asking until he got a different answer? Then returned to my Beer before it got warm.

Most of the general public, even car people, have no idea the time and efforts that go into our models.  One time  I took my wife's brother up to the model room for a look. He looked the finished models in my case, then he walked over to my closet of unbuilt models, and asked if we had time to "put one together" before dinner.  When I opened a box and showed him what was inside, he did a double take.  He admitted that when he saw my models he thought the kit came all painted and detailed, and I merely had to screw a couple of parts together.

Our work looks like diecasts to a lot of people. And you know, sometimes that's good enough for a lot of people.  I think while the public underestimates the work we do, at the same time we've gone way off the deep end.  We immediately assume they're asking for a full blown contest model, when a diecast or a simple box stock build the same color as their own car would make them very happy.  One time our department secretary asked me about a 1968 GTO for her husband for Christmas. I found a $15 diecast in the same red he had.  The only thing I added were scale license plates that matched the photo she loaned me.  You'd think I gave them a million dollars. They were very happy!

I've been asked several times over the years. I simply tell them to figure somewhere in the $150 range and up to build a nice shelf piece they would be proud of and they usually drop it after that.

The last 2 kits I've actually finished I gave away to the owners of the actual cars they  replicated. For free.

BOTH were floored beyond belief.

Edited by gtx6970

I've been asked several times over the years. I simply tell them to figure somewhere in the $150 range and up to build a nice shelf piece they would be proud of and they usually drop it after that.

The last 2 kits I've actually finished I gave away to the owners of the actual cars they  replicated. For free.

BOTH were floored beyond belief.

i do that. i have not been asked though. 

Depends on how close I am to the person who is asking.  Family or not.  Then I ask them to buy the kit and any other parts they want.  My skill level is no where near the levels I see here but the 3 times I have done it, they have been very happy with results.

I've never been asked, but I may consider it depending on who the person is.

If my mother in law asked me, I'd really be tempted to turn her down, but I suppose I may have to oblige her. After all, she could make life miserable for me. :)

I have given builds to people whom I knew would really appreciate them.

Especially if the kit was modeled after a car they owned.

Steve

I've done this on a few occasions over the years, and decided that "Never again".  I have simply told anyone since who has asked, that when I decide to start on a model project, it's my hobby, my relaxation (?), my own passion.  For those reasons, I simply decline, end of that conversation.   Now, that said, I have given several pieces away over the years, to a relative or two, as well as a couple of friends, AFTER I've had the fun of building them, and had no further wish to display them, or take them to shows--but that is the extent of it.

Art

Our work looks like diecasts to a lot of people. And you know, sometimes that's good enough for a lot of people.  I think while the public underestimates the work we do, at the same time we've gone way off the deep end.  We immediately assume they're asking for a full blown contest model, when a diecast or a simple box stock build the same color as their own car would make them very happy.  One time our department secretary asked me about a 1968 GTO for her husband for Christmas. I found a $15 diecast in the same red he had.  The only thing I added were scale license plates that matched the photo she loaned me.  

Tom and the others that suggested a die cast, GOOD IDEA. I even found one. Red on red, like his.

http://www.epicdiecast.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=320

But I'm fairly certain his was a non-SS car. That makes it a little more difficult in the die cast search.

In any case, I've decided that I'm just going to ignore him. He's family, but we're not what you'd call tight due to some serious family drama that occurred a few years ago. If fact the only contact we've had since has been about this model, and then finally at the party recently. Thanks to everyone who responded. Much appreciated.

Edited by Jantrix