Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would like some opinions about 1/12 Camaro kit

I am about to take on my first large scale build. It's the  monogram Camaro kit. The 88 issue. I haven't been able to find a review. I typically build pretty much out of the box. The kit looks pretty straight forward to me. My questions are, are there a lot of fitment issues, incorrect for the model parts I.e. wrong gauges, upholstery patterns, and that type of thing. I'm just curious as to the general"buildability" of it. All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance, Mike.

I can't say much on the authenticity of everything, but as far as I know it builds up well and since you got the older kit, it has the nice extra parts and tires with lettering on them! It does not have parts for the RS version though, so if that was your plan, you'd have to scratch build those parts.

Michael, I have built 2 of them myself and they are very nice kits. You can get photo etched parts for them. The Model Car Garage has them. If you look through the big boys section of this form you can find a lot of them built by different guys.Like Jordan was saying the only downside is that it isn't the RS version. I have seen a few guys go the extra to build the RS package. 

Michael, I have built 2 of them myself and they are very nice kits. You can get photo etched parts for them. The Model Car Garage has them. If you look through the big boys section of this form you can find a lot of them built by different guys.Like Jordan was saying the only downside is that it isn't the RS version. I have seen a few guys go the extra to build the RS package. 

I've seen yours. that black one is inspiring. I would like to see more of the orange one!!!!

Greetings,

As to impressions, mostly you'll view the kit as not really more elaborate than some 1:25th kit blown up to 1:12th for the parts count and assembly breakdowns are nothing epic.  This is a very basic kit in this regard, hence some things aren't going to suddenly be dripping with detail given huge care was exercised to split this and that assembly into more component parts.  Expect to be very impressed with the body which is very well rendered.  Expect also to be terribly underwhelmed in relation to the wheels and tires which seem to be stop gap items designed around recycled 1967 Corvette vanilla wafer tires.  I'm trying to come up with better on my build, although other build threads clearly depict that skilled builders aren't necessarily hobbled by this felt deficiency for their builds look quite nice. 

The headers and exhaust do require quite a bit of cleanup, so expect a time drain there, although know that the overall quality of the tool is high and absolutely merits enthusiasm registered here by various builders again and again.  Know too that in addition to the photo etch set that aftermarket decals exist to afford multiple tries in relation to the over the top stripes if such is a worry for you.  For myself I think I'll need to purchase another to facilitate some interior paintwork and chrome plate.  I will likely have to budget for re-chroming too given that many plated parts sadly sport many plastic injection feed points and look a bit tatty if not properly trimmed, sanded and touched-in with chrome paint.  None of the above should dissuade you from a potential purchase, whereas time and again you will likely be tempted to try things that are new to you given the topic is so big.  For many I suspect the overall size and basic quality of the tool restores their enthusiasm for the hobby, and this is definitely a plus.  Good luck...

Mike K.

P.S. Inaccuracies seem to be few - i.e. no fresh air seal beneath the hood is provided, the hood hinges are a bore, the inner fender lip as viewed beneath the hood is inexpertly and cheaply rendered, while the sink mark in the center of the Rally wheel trim caps isn't exactly something to cheer.  Modest irregularities are noticed on the design of the headers they created, whereas the hardware on the mounting flanges isn't the best for it is either incomplete or inaccurately sited.  Expect no front spring detail of note, whereas most everything short of the master cylinder and booster chamber on the firewall is simply cast-in.  Interior is the custom trim level, although the cast-in bead detail is slight along the perimeter of each cushion and might be better replaced with wire.  Know that the earlier orange release from '88 doesn't have the woodgrain dashboard decals, whereas the later rerelease does.  Depending on your ambitions, this might be an issue for you.  Kind regards...

M.K.

Edited by swede70

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Michael,

My opinion on this kit is a good one.. simply put its a 1/25 scale blown up to a 1/12 scale. Everything fits and the finish product is impressive for its size.. like many mentioned before its sad that the kit hasnt been updated with newer options like the Rally Sport package.. standard interior etc.. instead they added new wheels and tires and removed the slicks that the earlier versions had... over all its a nice kit. I collect them and have scratch built many items for it due to the fact that the aftermarket for 1/12 is very limited..i went as far as make my own tires and with the help of Jim at Micro Nitro i get to have the wheels i want.. TDR Innovations also has some nice Parts in 1/12 including turbo kits, seats, and Engines.. so in the end you can try and build your own version..       Cheers, Ralph

Hey Michael,

My opinion on this kit is a good one.. simply put its a 1/25 scale blown up to a 1/12 scale. Everything fits and the finish product is impressive for its size.. like many mentioned before its sad that the kit hasnt been updated with newer options like the Rally Sport package.. standard interior etc.. instead they added new wheels and tires and removed the slicks that the earlier versions had... over all its a nice kit. I collect them and have scratch built many items for it due to the fact that the aftermarket for 1/12 is very limited..i went as far as make my own tires and with the help of Jim at Micro Nitro i get to have the wheels i want.. TDR Innovations also has some nice Parts in 1/12 including turbo kits, seats, and Engines.. so in the end you can try and build your own version..       Cheers, Ralph

I was wondering if anyone had purchased the TDR Innovations rear disc brake kit.  No posts were seen in their comment section below the product, although if the transkit was well done such would certainly save me some time.  Maybe it was about $29 U.S.?  Thanks in advance.

Mike K.

Thanks Ralph for your kind input,

It's an odd time in the hobby when 3D printed stuff is coming online that seemingly threatens to carry all previous scratch built and hand cast stuff before it.  On one hand I want to create everything and have a reasonably well developed backbone to do such, although on the other hand I almost fear the technical savvy and precision of future 3D printer capability that might render my eyeballed efforts laughably inept.  I probably will go for the rear disc setup, conscious throughout that the technology is new and that the surfaces might require greater clean up than what might be afforded us later.  Again - my thanks for your feedback.

Mike K.

Hi Michael,  for what it's worth as a scratch-builder and budding "old-school" machinist..........3D v. scratch-building,  old-school machining v. CNC.......doesn't matter.  I'd say just pick out what you want to do, "own it" and do it the way YOU want to.  It's a hobby is my sentiment and you should have fun & derive your own personal satisfaction while doing it.  Build for yourself and what makes ya' happy is all I'm saying.  Cheers, Tim

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael,  for what it's worth as a scratch-builder and budding "old-school" machinist..........3D v. scratch-building,  old-school machining v. CNC.......doesn't matter.  I'd say just pick out what you want to do, "own it" and do it the way YOU want to.  It's a hobby is my sentiment and you should have fun & derive your own personal satisfaction while doing it.  Build for yourself and what makes ya' happy is all I'm saying.  Cheers, Tim

Indeed and as you've said.  Sometimes one can be too precise and show up other very real inaccuracies of a tool for presuming that everything else is in scale.  A plastic casting modeled thick enough to bear weight isn't going to have the scale thickness of stamped metal on offer, whereas disguising this and that part to suggest appropriate material use and manufacturing methods to the discerning scale enthusiast looking on indeed is an art.  I'll be picking up on my 1:12 Camaro project in the weeks to come, preparing brake discs, calipers and mounts plus backing plates that will satisfy - I hope!  Somehow I misplaced/lost the suspension decals that I'd purchased and consequently stopped dead in relation to worthy effort up to that point, although replacements are now in hand.  The November 15th, 2015 'Macomb Show' held in nearby Warren, MI. isn't far off now, although whatever I do will be seen there, completed or not.  I appreciate the words of encouragement consistent with helping me reengage matters and press ahead.  Kind thanks...

Mike K.