Model Cars Magazine Forum

clear coat on tamiya gloss aluminum paint

I am painting my rx-7 the Tamiya Gloss aluminum (TS-17). This is the first time i am trying a silver paint.  I did a test piece and it looks nice, however when i tried to clear coat the test piece (with tamiya clear) it lost its metallic look and looks just grey.

Can you not clear coat this color?

I am painting my rx-7 the Tamiya Gloss aluminum (TS-17). This is the first time i am trying a silver paint.  I did a test piece and it looks nice, however when i tried to clear coat the test piece (with tamiya clear) it lost its metallic look and looks just grey.

Can you not clear coat this color?

....to answer your question,,,,keep in mind that  just about any metallic paint will loose some of that metallic hit , once sprayed with clear. Tamiya clear, well, isn't exactly clear.....what I mean is, the idea of it being completely transparent just isn't the case. the paint has chemicals and solvents in it that will darken any color that it is sprayed over. that is why your met. silver lost a lot of its blast, so to speak....as the clear coat hides it and tones it down.....I use Tamiya sprays all the time, and can tell you that the clear changes almost all their paints, once coated over. black takes on a bit of a gray tone, meaning that hard, dark black look goes away a bit..... for metallic colors I use their pearl coat clear spray, as it does not change the primary color appearance as much as the clear spray does....spray some plastic spoons with your various colors....then give them a shot of clear, or pearl...then figure on whats best for you...hope this helps.....the Ace......:)