Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car foil instead of paint

I'd be a bit leery of using a heat gun (to seal the foil) on a plastic body. I'm also a bit skeptical regarding the much tighter curves seen on model cars.

Me too, and that is why I am asking about others' experience :D.

I hoped to hear the heat gun may be dropped if the foil is applied to small panels like hood, doors and so on. Or to hear there are similar products that need moderate heating or none at all.

The idea itself is brilliant, and, if applicable to model cars, takes us into a totally different corner where we will stop buying expensive airbrushes and exclusive paints, and will buy high quality knives instead.

I saw this used on a TV show, Detroit something. They did the bumpers and grill of a '50s Packard. On TV it looked as good as any "chrome job" from a chrome shop. But for what you are trying to do is not foil so much as it is paint, if your looking to do the same as the link showed. I've seen many others have good luck with many different spray paints, but for my self I use the Alclad products. They offer many of the same colors shown on your link and are designed for styrene. Check it out.