Model Cars Magazine Forum

We need a '60 El Camino

Shouldn't be to hard for Revell to do from their 60 Impala tooling.

Then do the last year available from Chevy, a stock body 60 sedan delivery.

Tool up a six cylinder for it to make it more desirable to builders.

Lots of variations are possible. Stock, mild custom, drag, municipality, commercial and............

Edited by VW93

I didn't mention a wagon as you would think Revell would do one as an obvious follow up to an El Camino and sedan delivery kit

Dog dish caps, a base 283, a six , a powerglide and a 3 speed and maybe a 4 speed. Not sure if the six and sb bell housings were the same in 1960 as they were for later sixes and sb's. The 348 could be used from the Impala in one version of the El Camino or just kit bashed from a 60 Impala.

Two dashes, one with radio heater controls and one with correct radio/heater delete plates. Perhaps two columns, one with shift lever for 3 on the tree or just one easily modified for a floor shift. Of course two sets of pedals for either an automatic or stick setup

.Mix up the power train options, dog dishes, wheel covers and custom items between the three kits if need be to increase sales.

Since Both the wagon and the el camino were both kits at the same time, would they not be two diffrent molds and not one?  I got a copy of the 60 El Camino and a resin copy of the 60 wagon. I would love to see both reissued as "old" new stock ( Vintage box look) but molded in white.

Not sure if the six and sb bell housings were the same in 1960 as they were for later sixes and sb's.

No, they are not the same. The 6 didn't get the V8 bellhousing pattern until the "Hi Torque" 6 came out, 62 in Chevy II/Nova, 63 for all others (some early '63 4x4 trucks continued to use the older engine, though).

Doing a '60 El Camino and Wagon/Sedan Delivery would require a retool of the chassis as well as the body. They used a different gas tank than the Sedan/Coupe/Convertible, and there are other differences as well. The driveline and suspension parts could be used as is, though.

Since Both the wagon and the el camino were both kits at the same time, would they not be two diffrent molds and not one?  I got a copy of the 60 El Camino and a resin copy of the 60 wagon. I would love to see both reissued as "old" new stock ( Vintage box look) but molded in white.

You have to remember, there's a very strong likelihood that those molds no longer exist.

With the AMT '59 El Camino being re-released umpteen times since it's inception, don't you think the '60 El Camino would have been repopped at some point since 1960?

My guess is that those molds are long gone.

Steve