Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

Since I'm not doing much actual building on the roadster right now & needing something to do to give a creative outlet, I've been puttering around with this one.

This is kinda where it's at, at this point & if you all are interested, I'll regress to the beginning & tell it's story.

autocrosscoupe127.thumb.JPG.10aeee6e80cf

autocrosscoupe164.thumb.JPG.d2422062dbc8

autocrosscoupe165.thumb.JPG.0722cb6084d4

autocrosscoupe166.thumb.JPG.21ce0a7d8aaa

autocrosscoupe167.thumb.JPG.c116ffd6a0e7

autocrosscoupe168.thumb.JPG.988a128b5fb5

autocrosscoupe169.thumb.JPG.9adf79168036

Please bear with me, the new software seems to require a different technique for loading pictures...I'll get it figured out.

Also noticed can't preview new posts.   hummm

Thanks for your patiencautocrosscoupe168.JPG

Edited by Ognib

It all began innocently enough...Saw some pictures of a 1:8 60/70's dirt track coupe with massive rubber at all 4 corners.

I've always like that look...quick & nimble looking, like a sprint car or a big overgrown go cart.

Then I saw this...

blackdirttrack.thumb.jpg.b6dc43d5f26cc52

And then this...

autocrosscoupe1.thumb.jpg.887503fc7c362d

and this.

autocrosscoupe90.thumb.jpg.9d0e0d0fb008b

I've had this on the shelf for a couple of years & never had a spark of inspiration to do anything with it until now.

autocrosscoupe3.thumb.JPG.e2fffb65aadcda

I was needing something creative to do so took it down & started looking it over & the hook was set.

Something along the lines of a hot street coupe that's set up for going to the autocross track vs. the drag strip.

Handling in the corners just as important as acceleration.

Laid out a few parameters for the project...I'm spending money on equipment & supplies for the roadster...this one will be a lo buck special, focusing entirely on the creative process & buying only minimal materials & parts for it.

I began with the mandatory mock ups...

Yep, the tops gotta come down...darn, wish it was a 3 window...like then much better.

autocrosscoupe8.thumb.JPG.f174fd56d8abc8

autocrosscoupe25.thumb.JPG.0d32d2ad69d87

autocrosscoupe31.thumb.JPG.cb8a11a6f6fbf

autocrosscoupe33.thumb.JPG.b9182fd4a2d30

autocrosscoupe39.thumb.JPG.e026758dd63ec

Tacked everything in place with some super glue & added fiberglass mat & resin.

autocrosscoupe42.thumb.JPG.4c239efe8a76c

Cut the quarter window out of the body & moved it forward to become the back of the door window opening.

autocrosscoupe47.thumb.JPG.0063a305a8e95

autocrosscoupe48.thumb.JPG.cd308d515d8fd

More mat & resin.

autocrosscoupe52.thumb.JPG.7432fb32fc5ad

And a topcoat of body filler.

autocrosscoupe55.thumb.JPG.00fb1527dac82

There, that's better.

autocrosscoupe59.thumb.JPG.0a5870184b52c

Thanks guys.

Wanted a tube frame with a cage for it...something along these lines.

autocrosscoupe2.thumb.jpg.3c264cacc493a0

The frame will have two sets of rails similar to these.

autocrosscoupe7.thumb.jpg.3e84031596203c

autocrosscoupe93.thumb.jpg.8da52f5ffc551

Using the frame jigs I built for the roadster as templates, I bent some brass rod to shape & soldered in a couple of uprights to hold everything together for now.

autocrosscoupe101.thumb.JPG.f8b03de6eae6

autocrosscoupe105.thumb.JPG.6ab1daf84917

Set up a build platform, laid down a center line & began jigging everything up.

This holds everything in constant correct position & the build is performed in the jig.

autocrosscoupe132.thumb.JPG.473c8e58c3a2

autocrosscoupe133.thumb.JPG.e574a60e3a7b

Two rear uprights locate the body in it's correct position.

autocrosscoupe134.thumb.JPG.bc7946514136

autocrosscoupe93.jpg

Edited by Ognib

With that accomplished, I began hanging parts to see how it's all going to fit.

Wanted the grill laid back & the front wheels somewhat out in front of the grill.

Stretched the wheelbase 8" @ 1:1 to get everything fitted with the perspective desired.

autocrosscoupe135.thumb.JPG.bfa2a3a74401

autocrosscoupe136.thumb.JPG.8ff2de9c4dba

autocrosscoupe137.thumb.JPG.909f3b836c17

The front mount for the upper control arms will also be the locating point for the headlights.

autocrosscoupe140.thumb.JPG.8ddf6ac750bb

autocrosscoupe141.thumb.JPG.d03febd5b2e9

The doors will be suicide & I laid out the front door line, below the beltline to match the angle chosen for the grill shell layback.

autocrosscoupe144.thumb.JPG.bca99d1ab5f9

Also laid some more glass mat, extending the cowl & shaping it to match this angle as well.

autocrosscoupe158.thumb.JPG.19df5c22dd10

autocrosscoupe160.thumb.JPG.7ff8a6a409f5

Edited by Ognib

Run Ray, run as fast as you can on this car.  I love everything you're showing here and your grill is beautiful.  If it were mine/me, I'd set the other one aside and continue on this one.  The real car pics you've shared and the chassis design are so cool and would make for a superb model.  Looking forward towards your next post already. 

Cheers, Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for stopping in.  Glad you like my work.

This one is the "front burner" project right now & I'm really enjoying working on it.

My mind is full of ideas for it & that's good...it keeps me in mental attraction to it.

The roadster is requiring so much prep & learning curve that it has become a rather long term WIP.

I don't mind that though, I like a project that I can become deeply involved with & it gets some thought & attention on a daily basis...just most of it mental energy, right now..

So I've got a good mix going...one that I see daily progress on & another that's requiring some planning & education to accomplish.

When I laid back the grill shell, it created some alignment problems with the hood...

autocrosscoupe142.thumb.JPG.8130935da75a

Laid some more mat to extend the sides of the hood & build up the top of the grill shell.

autocrosscoupe143.thumb.JPG.b909a50b42b2

Took a couple of applications of glass but it's now got a good tight line all the way across.

autocrosscoupe149.thumb.JPG.2dade5f15a38

autocrosscoupe150.thumb.JPG.c133b5bfdfcb

autocrosscoupe153.thumb.JPG.324513296b18

There are certain things that need to be in place before I proceed with the frame & cage.

The car definitely needs an engine & transmission in the frame at this point & that was my next move.

I checked the prices on some aftermarket resin engine kits & I'm like, naaaaaaaaa, I ain't gonna spend that kind of money on an engine for this build.

After all this one is all about the creative process...how innovative can I be at this...achieving a satisfactory result with what I have on hand.

So, this was with the red deuce kit when I bought it

kit4.thumb.JPG.ec343c4b46b5ca2ed822759e7

A cool motor in it's day, but very dated looking & definitely not what I want for this build.

It's definitely a pontiac engine...the shape & configuration of the exhaust ports gives it away.

autocrosscoupe200.thumb.JPG.1ab8cb247c9e

So, I trimmed them off, leaving a blank canvas with which to work for exhaust ports.

Something more up to date looking with a strong performance vibe.

Also updating the look of the old finned aluminum rocker covers.

autocrosscoupe236.thumb.JPG.327034c49408

I was in the process of carving an intake manifold out of a block of epoxy & thought, naa, this needs to be in metal, so began bending some tubing to see how to approach it.

autocrosscoupe238.thumb.JPG.05ec43296399

Bent a cover for the lifter valley

autocrosscoupe248.thumb.JPG.712e145fc7c9

Also in this pic is the motor plate & drive shaft for the dry sump pump, which I'll get to later.

autocrosscoupe249.thumb.JPG.bd4d7f3072e3autocrosscoupe250.thumb.JPG.edb1cc641545

Edited by Ognib

Then  I saw this...

autocrosscoupe265.thumb.jpg.917fabd7a361

...and realized that I'm still undecided as to what I want for the motor.

So I'm currently building 2 intakes...see which one I like the best.

autocrosscoupe271.thumb.JPG.2f484b6e9e7c

autocrosscoupe272.thumb.JPG.3512dba9ee84

autocrosscoupe273.thumb.JPG.0ff1307a9de6

Base plates for a pair of hollys with tubes for the throttle bores.

autocrosscoupe277.thumb.JPG.80a2920ee301

Everything soldered & semi cleaned up.

Using hi temp silver solder on this...later I'll use lower temp tin & lead so I can add float bowls & top plates without un soldering what's already done.

autocrosscoupe284.thumb.JPG.bd9b2d8a33c6

autocrosscoupe285.thumb.JPG.2ef2b4a63878

I cut the sump off the pontiac oil pan, packed it with a plug of bondo & whittled out a dry sump pan.

Will have 3 scavage hoses with pressure delivery to the tank & one feed line from the tank, through the pump, filters & cooler for high pressure feed into the engine.

Interestingly seems I read, some, maby all dry sump pumps are roots type pumps & they also pull air thus acting as the positive crankcase ventilation system.

Any of you guys know for sure on the roots thing...speak up here...correct me if I'm wrong on this.

autocrosscoupe230.thumb.JPG.509419257c43

autocrosscoupe229.thumb.JPG.671b26521095

Built the pump itself by stacking tubing inside itself until I reached the proper size for the drive shaft.

Located it on the engine side & marked the spot to drill for it to pass through to be belted to the crankshaft.

autocrosscoupe222.thumb.JPG.a4e11a4d2d09

Drilled a pin into the side of the pump for mounting to the engine.

I've been packing the inside of the block with an epoxy putty I found at the hardware store, at strategic locations, thus providing a solid bulkhead for all of my pin mounts to seat into.

autocrosscoupe225.thumb.JPG.328b0e3e40e2

The pin inserts into the engine with a slight press fit & is snug against the back of the motor plate.

The shaft is then inserted from the front.  I put a slight bushing inside the shaft hole & it also installs with a press fit.

So this item is solidly on the engine.

autocrosscoupe227.thumb.JPG.121481b2e177

autocrosscoupe228.thumb.JPG.14528f621a66

Block with the end packed with epoxy & the original bellhousing cut off in preparation for a scattershield/clutch can.

autocrosscoupe234.thumb.JPG.5be6ca42e2b4

Fabbed the can out of a pvc pipe cap & a ring of plastic cut from a light switch cover.

Still needs a pod for the starter.

autocrosscoupe240.thumb.JPG.f428382b1ee9

Edited by Ognib

Really like the way the front end body mods worked out Ray.  You've picked two great intakes to choose from but my preference was for your 1st one with the single carb BUT your sheet metal will no doubt be sweet as well.  I like the way you've fabbed that so far too.  Great progress and looking forward to more soon!!!   cheers, Tim

Thanks Scott.

Always good to see you.

Especially if you're sctatching your frames, the platform & jig...in conjunction with the religious use of the centerline for doing your layout...really simplifies the construction of accurate, well bananced pieces.

All of the pro 1:1 scratch builders, that I'm aware of, build in jigs.

Right up to the point where the car is ready to be set on the tires.

Thanks Rob.

Really like your sig line...kinda like, "don't hold back, tell me how you really feel".

Tim, thanks.

The single manifold has a sweeping grace about it that I really like.

However, the double style just screams  "NASTAY" & I've always had a real big thing for nastay motors...rough idling, chattering solid valve train...ah, memories.

humm, decisions...decisions

Edited by Ognib

...name his was ognib and.

yes, there is a deeper mental significance to all this....but only on a subconscious level...an asymmetrically symmetrical pallindrome of sorts, if you will...B)

How astute of you to notice certain things...I like the way you think.

Thanks for stopping in & looking.  Appreciate your comments.

Edited by Ognib