Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

Hi Ray, nice cut.

You do these cuts from above?  Interesting to see this approach.  How do you tap the drill/sink point?   My setup is such that I get at these cuts from the side with a sliding carriage.  Man, would I like to have a look (and a sniff {woodwork} in your shop) and do some model talk.  Got any cool beer?

Michael

In keeping with my policy of honest reporting, it is now...quick change side covers, take 2.

I abandoned the first one, on the 8th cut of 10, when my clamping slipped, allowing the bit to rotate the workpiece slightly resulting in the cut moving off to the side.
Major bummer!!
But not totally...I was not happy with the randomness of the spacing between the cuts...a result of eyeball alignment discrepancies.

I learned some stuff.

Can get an idea, though, where I'm trying to go with this.
Bear in mind, that this first cut is only the first of several I have planned for the pieces.

This is fun, I'm diggin it!

Edited by Ognib

Thanks for stopping in, Michael, good to see you.

Thanks Tim.  Sometimes I can live with the "looseness" of free hand work...sometimes not.

I've been doing a lot of studying on this in the past few weeks. Found these items at Grizzly.

Even with my most careful layout & eyeball execution, I'm seeing small discrepancies in the evenness of the spacing on my cuts as I work around the piece.
When I mock it up & set it in with the frame & rest of the build, it's not all that noticeable.....but I know they're there & it bugs the living heck out of me!!
I'm committed to doing tighter work than that, for my own artistic edification!

With the rotary table, I can finish one cut & crank 36 degrees of rotation on the table & know that I'm cutting precisely in the right location.

The roadster seems to be on hold, as I'm being sucked deeper into this current build.
So, I'm going to order these items in the next few days.

http://grizzly21-px.rtrk.ca/products/4- ... Base/H7578

http://grizzly21-px.rtrk.ca/products/3- ... ble/T10053
The 4 jaw chuck is not self centering, each jaw is positioned independently, which means it's handy for holding odd shaped items like cylinder heads & water pumps & so on.

http://grizzly21-px.rtrk.ca/products/58 ... lot/T25250

Edited by Ognib

Grizzly to the rescue...been to the one in Wash State. Like a kid in a candy store...expensive candy store mind you

The precision, accuracy and safety that the table will provide is right up your alley. If you do ever purchase a milling machine I am sure this will come in very handy.

I am on a tool purchasing strike, so good to see someone else buy something cool!!!!

Hey, Scott, good to see you.

I'll have to have a mill eventually.  I've got too many projects & the drill press is not designed for the side loads of milling so I feed it veeery slowly to minimize those side loads...I have much respect for my equipment.

But I'm an old retired guy who's on a very tight budget, so I try to do my purchases in an order that will allow me to limp along while saving my lunch money for the next item.

Hi Ray,  Not sure the info will help as the parts I'm turning are significantly smaller, but as an fyi, anywhere from 1800 to 2100 rpm.   Where are you right now?   The man to ask would be Dave (comp1839) as he fabricates in 1/8th scale AND has tons of experience, so he might be able to make a better recommendation / suggestion for what you're making.  Cheers

The formula for converting FPM tp RPM is:
Spindle Speed [RPM] = cutting speed (in inches) (pi*tool diameter). / Basically, find the circumference of the tool, divide the cutting speed by the tool circumference and that tells you how many times the tool will need to go around per minute to achieve the proper cutting speed. A larger diameter tool will go slower because it cuts more metal per revolution of the tool.

-----------------------------

This is one of the better, I think, answers I've found on line.

Since my feed rate is slow, I should be able to work with a slower spindle speed.

I'm currently experimenting at about 1,000 rpm...with very light, slow feed cuts.

Just trying to get a real world feel for what others, who are doing similar work, are using.

You've mentioned in your thread some of the long days you've spent producing a particular part...

Edited by Ognib

Hi Ray,  without a doubt, you'll find the tilting table and rotary to be invaluable for productivity and accuracy.  Smart investment that you won't regret.  As for the time it takes me to machine certain parts, being a newbie takes me infinitely longer than someone as talented as Dave. He can turn out a part in a fraction of the time and make it nicer as well than I can.  But the experiences have been rewarding as I continue to move up the learning curve in the world of machining.  I love to stare at the parts Dave makes and work it backwards regarding the process / steps he performs to get there. Then when I think I have it figured out I ask him what his steps were and he enlightens me with a process or method that never occurred to me that just happens to be better than whatever I came up with.  It's like a puzzle that you piece together.  I'm doing 36 piece puzzles and he's knocking out 1000 piece puzzles by comparison.  Cheers, Tim

Hi Ray,  in the words of the Visa commercials...."priceless".    Anyone can buy a machine or tool, BUT, the knowledge to operate it properly and to get the most from it, well that can only be garnered from experience.   I've been blessed to have a mentor & teacher in Dave who is willing to share his vast knowledge.  I can only surmise that this has shaved many months from the curve for me personally.  Cheers

Another learning curve staring me in the face.

Going to read the table for run-out as a first item of business.
Still have to dig through some more storage & find the magnetic base.

Quite impressed, considering the modest cost of these two items.
Gear backlash on the table is almost zero & it has a good solid feel when rotated & the quality of the marking of the scales is impressive.

Mounted in the vice, it has X, Y axis as well.

My weak link now is the fact that I'm working under a drill press instead of a mill.
One thing at a time, ya know what I mean, Vern?
I can, at least, limp along slowly with what I have now & experience tighter tolerances on my quick change side covers.

Cut a couple of plugs off of a piece of round barstock from the salvage yard.
Bandsaw is giving me good square cuts. :)

Normally turning to spec diameter on a piece of stock is done on a lathe.
I need to know how to accomplish that with this.

I've got my spindle speed up to 2540 rpm & that smoothed things out a bunch.
Looks more wavy than it feels.

LOL, now that's a gangley lookin stack a stuff there, idnit??
But I'm having fun, so leave me alone with my madness. :)

In the background, a couple of cheap, busted up old acoustics of no value, that I just don't have the heart to pitch them into the dumpster...they're just there to add visual texture to my shop. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised your drill press can handle that lateral pressure; must be a well made older unit.

I blew out a retaining ring/pin on my tabletop Delta and had to do surgery on it couple years ago (thanks to a U Tube video). I was doing far less and working on wood

I get e-mails from Stew Mac with all their cool luthier tools I must resist from purchasing.....makes me think of your thread, tools and the guitars in the background 

Cheers, Scott

Hey Scott.  :)

In the photo above your post, you can see a heavy radial ball bearing, at the bottom of the spindle, that absorbs side loads.

I checked the side play on the spindle with a dial indicator before I began cutting on that first side cover & then again later & it was staying the same.  So I figure it's ok to proceed with caution. Very slow feed rates to keep side loads to a minimum.

I've got a deal working on one of my bass rigs...fender jazz with duncan active pickups, carvin 600 w head & an avitar neo speaker cab...lateral transfer of funds to sherline for one of their vertical mills.

Tim has one & speaks very highly of it's quality & features.

I figure I've done gone stark raving mad over this stuff & I'm really digging the machining process & the mental challenges associated with it, so might as well do it right!  :)

Edited by Ognib

My space is 12x16 with a two car garage as well to spill into for woodworking..overall house is about 4700 including garage

They are working hard to get her closed ASAP to avoid the wet weather we get on the West Coast...the snow is smart enough to stay up in the mountains, but boy can it rain here !

I will be crying soon not able to afford the tools I want and working lots to pay for all this debt

Keep plugging away at the car, watching you work through things and problem solve is very educational

• 3 weeks later...