Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 66 Ford Galaxie

Unless they've seriously cleaned up the tooling for the Cammer engine, that thing is a real bear to get looking like it should. I spent probably an additional 15-20 hours just making it all fit right. If anyone builds that engine, report back and let us know if it's been fixed!

photo-vi.jpg

Ooooo... you made the same boo boo I did. Valve covers backwards. The more square end goes in front to clear the cam gears in the head. Someone pointed this out to me on a build, sticks in my head now.  Engine looks great though. Wish they did the water pump better though. 

I never had a big issue with this engine. Only thing I ever needed to do is reshape the front cover.

MVC-319S.jpg

I hate being a river counter on someone's build. Saw it but it and yours are nice. Iirc instructions aren't great about that but you're correct about chain clearance. Picking on new kits is one thing  picking on build mistakes is another  :(

Mall we need now is a readily available twincam Ford Indy v8 and I'm good. IMC was ok but hard to find. 

I have original issues of this and the 66 7liter convert. My convert has clear up top. Was that from the 66, or did I put one in from 65 Galaxie convert??

Kits not handy and I have 2 clear uptops in both 65-66. 

The original for comparisonDSC05333DSC05334DSC05336DSC05339DSC05342DSC05340DSC05341

The decals in this kit were missing..The red lights , body ,chassis, interior tub, instructions, parts off the trees and metal axles I did not take pictures of. Is the roll cage in the re issue molded in clear still?

Ooooo... you made the same boo boo I did. Valve covers backwards. The more square end goes in front to clear the cam gears in the head. Someone pointed this out to me on a build, sticks in my head now.  Engine looks great though. Wish they did the water pump better though. 

Andy, do you know how many reference pictures I looked at of the real engine, and never spotted that? Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I can't fix mine, it's not in the car yet!

I hate being a river counter on someone's build. Saw it but it and yours are nice. Iirc instructions aren't great about that but you're correct about chain clearance. Picking on new kits is one thing  picking on build mistakes is another  :(

Christian, it's OK with me, I'm a big boy and I took it as I'm sure Andy intended. I screwed up like he did, proving again no one's perfect!

Andy, do you know how many reference pictures I looked at of the real engine, and never spotted that? Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I can't fix mine, it's not in the car yet!

Christian, it's OK with me, I'm a big boy and I took it as I'm sure Andy intended. I screwed up like he did, proving again no one's perfect!

Mike you took it as intended. It was meant as an FYI. Since the wiring is done, I'd leave it. That was my dilema. The engine looks good.

Keyser, I was no by no means  picking on the build. I will point out a mistake to someone on an unfinished build just so they can know for future reference or correct if they wish. It is not meant as "rivet counting" and I attempt to make that clear

We all build at different levels, and if I make a mistake on a build because I am unfamiliar with it, I hope someone points it out. That's how we learn sometimes.

No, you are both good. I didn't mean you  pointing it out was wrong, just if I did. Andy showed same glitch so that's kinder. Plus, there is no such thing as a bad cammer. 

i couldn't wire a motor if you held gun at my head, so I'm last guy to be schoolin' anyone. I've watched model judges and 1:1 judges rip stuff apart, and they'd never touched the real deal. The good judges pull someone aside and make suggestions. The bad ones call it wrong and diss the builder . Easy mistakes in common are just that. You both had plugs in right place :)

Nascar SOHC would have crushed. Twin cam Hemi too. 

Learning everyday.

The Del Rio could benefit from a cammer too.imagepng

Edited by keyser

No, you are both good. I didn't mean you  pointing it out was wrong, just if I did. Andy showed same glitch so that's kinder. Plus, there is no such thing as a bad cammer. 

The Del Rio could benefit from a cammer too.imagepng

The cammer in the Revell Willys truck is pretty rough though.

Hmmm.... I am doing body corrections on a Del Rio, Maybe a Cammer is in order for it. Sleeper style

The cammers in the 66, 69XL, 68 Shelby are easy and nice. I looked for a nice 57 post with cammer tucked in like it grew there but can't find it. 

Can't wait to see the fixes on the DR Andy. A nice 312 Fcode and a Cammer version prob what I need. Or put a McCullough on the cammer. Have one of those in a 63 F100 :D

Yes, that motor was in that kit, a couple of the IMC Ford GT's too. Maybe a little small, but convincing. 

I was just wishing for a more readily available motor, the IMC's are pretty much collector status/thin on the ground. 

29 A with DOHC 255 and bundle of snakes out the top with Franklin QC and some other hardware another project I'll never finish, but it'll be the coolest estate sale ever :rolleyes:gnrs-golden-star.thumb.jpg.a005daff569b3

Edited by keyser
Not an A, but AMBR T works.

• 2 weeks later...

The 66 Galaxie kit would be so much better with a choice of factory grilles. The one in the kit is the 7-Litre version that was only on the 7 Litre. It limits what you can do with the kit. That was the last year for full size cars in NASCAR, they switched mid year to the smaller Fairlanes. The race Galaxie had the standard Galaxie grille. I agree some decals for under the hood and gauges would be a nice addition to all the recycled kits, since there us no tool costs to speak of, it would be a cheap addition.

As for the 4 cam Ford Indy engine, the MPC Olsonite Eagle Dan Gurney kit had the best version, closest to size and good detail. With a little whittling and some filing and sanding the exhaust look fairly authentic too.

I just picked up one this weekend, ruined one a long time ago and built another but sold it because I didn't like how it turned out. Someone gave me a new 65 kit and I'm going to build a resin version of my mom's 67 so I was glad to have this one back again to fill the hole. Seems so odd that so many parts are different between the 65 and 66 kits when mechanically they were the same car.

The 66 Galaxie kit would be so much better with a choice of factory grilles. The one in the kit is the 7-Litre version that was only on the 7 Litre. It limits what you can do with the kit.

The "uplevel" grille was used on Galaxie 500XLs and LTDs as well.

I agree that the standard Galaxie/Custom grille would be a nice addition to this kit.  Aftermarket?

The "uplevel" grille was used on Galaxie 500XLs and LTDs as well.

I agree that the standard Galaxie/Custom grille would be a nice addition to this kit.  Aftermarket?

There once was an aftermarket standard Galaxie grille with headlight covers for NASCAR builders. It was made by Golden Age Conversions and if I remember correctly, Bandit Resins now has the master, not sure if they are casting any though.

Again thank you Fordrodncustom for posting this one. What a great kit. Also the comparison between the new and original release is pretty cool to me. They sure knew what they were doing back in the day with the box art.Just about 50 years later and it's still working for them and for us. I guess I am an okay builder but ever since I have been on this forum I've become better because I learn something new every time that I am on the forum. Thanks everyone.    Jeff

• 4 months later...

....finally grabbed this kit just today at a LHS, and I must say its a great kit......everything already discussed in this thread and more is a testament to how nice all way round it is.....stock, Nascar, drag car, hot custom, whatever,,,,its a winner for all tastes and build styles....thanks, Round2 ,,,once again you've hit another homer.......the Ace........:lol:,,,oh, and again thanks to Ron Savoie for a great review on this kit posted here for all to enjoy....best,.....the Ace........;)

• 4 years later...
On 10/1/2015 at 12:34 PM, keyser said:

I have original issues of this and the 66 7liter convert. My convert has clear up top. Was that from the 66, or did I put one in from 65 Galaxie convert??

Both '65 and '66 convertible kits have clear raised tops, I believe one has the rear window molded "down" or "open" while the other has it in place, as part of the top.  Not sure which is which, but I think the '65 has the rear window.