Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Willys Custom - Finished

victorylane

Hi again,

A bit of update - I now have the car up on wheels, and I'm really happy with the way the wheels and rubber look with the car.

I also have the glass in (cut from clear acetate) and have foiled the side trim. (I was also able to cover that section-line in the finished interior with some trim...installed through the side window "ship in a bottle" style)

Brian

Chopped Willys 39.jpg

Chopped Willys 40.jpg

Chopped Willys 41.jpg

Thanks Steve,

I haven't been at the table for a couple of days...I just got in from Lime Rock Connecticut and the vintage race event there.

Spectacular.

I'm still buzzing (partly from the long drive as well I suspect) and had such a good experience. Great cars, great track, great event.

Stirling Moss was there, and so was his Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR #722. (I took about a billion pictures of the car) Still buzzing!

Thanks for looking in Steve, I appreciate it.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again after a break...was sick for a couple of weeks, bugger.

I have almost finished the engine, but have lost my love for how it looks...maybe too dark?

I am happier with the grill, which I have modified from the 1950 Ford F1 pickup. (hard to know what to do with that Willys grill opening, but I think I might be on the right track.)

I'm hoping to have all trim on today, so maybe will be able to post final assembly later.

Brian

Chopped Willys 42.jpg

Chopped Willys  43.jpg

Chopped Willys 44.jpg

I really like it, it gave me some answers to an idea I've been kicking around for years, think making the body shell fit the 1941 Lincoln Continental kit from Monogram, and coming out with a Zephyr looking custom coupe, with a Viper V10, modified to resemble the Ford V10.