Model Cars Magazine Forum

This ever happen to anyone else?

I have a crapload of Tamiya/MM/Testors cans I havent used yet. Many have been sitting in my rack for a couple of years now. The other day I went through them to see what I had...and found this

Just the model master cans. I found a few like this. What happened here?

--- Mike

Over the past few years I've found 4 or 5 cans of Testors Model Master Lacquer that have leaked like that. The first time it happened I just threw the can away, when I noticed it again I tested the paint out and didn't have any problems. Testors MM lacquer is the only brand I've had it happen with so now I'm careful about where I store those cans. Still don't know what causes it or why it happens and it doesn't seem limited to any particular color. 

I wonder if shaking the cans now and again could prevent this?

Sorta like turning your bed over now and again.

PS I'll shake my bottles and cans here and there from now on.

PSS I rotate my tires and check alignment during every oil change as well; ~4K miles or so.  Got the Firestone life time balance/aligment program, already used it 3 times in the past 6 months.  Def worth it, I highy recommend it!

Edited by aurfalien

Have had some like that too, but where the blob stayed much closer to the can. Couple years ago I had a can of the Testors high-gloss clear that actually started spraying out of one of the can's seams. Made quite a mess even though I think I smelled it (and could hear it when I started trying to find what was causing the smell) within a short period of time. Pretty dangerous if you ask me, would be careful not to store any cans too near a possible ignition source.

Regrettably I've had this happen with multiple cans of Testors auto lacquer hobby paints - both the One Coat Metalflakes and the "Custom Lacquer System" Muscle Era duplicates of specific car colors.

Yesterday I took one of the cans that had leaked, and sprayed it (I didn't have any extra cans of the color) on a Channeled Revell '29A I'm building.   The result was very poor.  So if you have any cans that have leaked like this, be sure to do a thorough spray test (wait for the paint to dry) before you spray it on a model car body.  

I'm a big supporter of Testors, so it is troubling to see this happening with their spray lacquer paints, apparently multiple times with multiple builders.   Meanwhile, I have cans of Testors, Pactra, and AMT paints cans from the early 1960's that have never leaked (even in the back of moving vans during multiple cross country trips)  that in some cases still spray today like they did when they were new.  This is progress?  (Don't blame the companies alone, it's the regulatory environment driving changes...)  

TIM 

It must be something with the newer cans. I still have some that are at least 13 years old (many brands including Testors) that have been in an out building that has been below freezing in the winter and over 100 in the summer. Other than the gas getting weak in some of the cans, all of them that I have tried have been fine. The paint in one can of MCW lacquer separated beyond use, but not a single can leaked, though they required a lot of shaking (LOL).

The MM cans leaking has been talked about a few times here.

When I first had this issue around 2009, I had twenty plus can that leaked, some worse than the one posted here.  I contacted Testors and they verified the date by the numbers on the bottom that they were three years old which is when I bought them.  Testors told me that was beyond the recommended life of the paint.  That said, they did replace the paint after I returned the leaking ones. 

I have since had more that leaked some but I don't know if they are the rest of my old cans or some of the new replacement cans. So, the leaking cans go back at least to 2006.  I have used cans that have small leaks and had no issues. 

All of mine have been store in controlled environment since new.

A asked this question the last time i saw this mentioned on here and don't think it got answered.  Why is the stuff that leaks out clear and never the color? 

It must be something with the newer cans

My guess... and just a guess, but seems pretty plausible to me...

They're using thinner metal then they used to for the cans to save a few cents per can. Thinner metal = more susceptible to leaking while under pressure. Add to that, lacquers and metalizers are much thinner paints than enamels, so they can leak through a tinier opening in the can.

I've noticed the same "use thinner material to save a few cents" with newer K&S aluminum tubing. Same O.D. as an older pack, but the walls of the tube are much thinner and much more prone to bending and denting. It's more like working with aluminum foil tubing than aluminum tubing. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

I keep mine in a file cabinet in my model room, walked past the door one day to hear a hissing noise. One of these can had started spraying around the base of the noozle, made a helluva mess. I've gotten ride of some of the older  paint, trying to minimize the risk.

I have a bunch of paint sitting on my closet shelf so it will be in a controlled environment.  i have some Boyd's colors from the 90's in the and some Model Master Lacquers.. So far no leaks but now i am worried...

Edited by slusher

My guess... and just a guess, but seems pretty plausible to me...

They're using thinner metal then they used to for the cans to save a few cents per can. Thinner metal = more susceptible to leaking while under pressure. Add to that, lacquers and metalizers are much thinner paints than enamels, so they can leak through a tinier opening in the can.

I've noticed the same "use thinner material to save a few cents" with newer K&S aluminum tubing. Same O.D. as an older pack, but the walls of the tube are much thinner and much more prone to bending and denting. It's more like working with aluminum foil tubing than aluminum tubing. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

The cans seem as heavy as the older ones, the leak is always at a seam. 

I don't think your tubing is a "use thinner material to save a few cents" issue. If that were the case they would no longer fit inside each other.   K&S makes 2 different wall thicknesses as well as a soft bendable tubing.

I don't think your tubing is a "use thinner material to save a few cents" issue. If that were the case they would no longer fit inside each other.   K&S makes 2 different wall thicknesses as well as a soft bendable tubing.

Oh, ok... that would explain it. I bought some tubing that was very soft and very thin... must be the "bendable" type that I bought instead of the rigid kind. My mistake.