Model Cars Magazine Forum

Avoiding blower cutout groove ghosting

I have a vintage sourced AMT kit with the rectangular groove in the bottom of the hood. The one you cut open for a blower. I want to make sure that groove doesn’t “ghost” through the finished paint on topside when it gets time to finish it. Any ideas?

Fill the groove from underneath.  You can cement strip styrene into the groove and then trim it flush after the cement sets, or use epoxy putty.  After you are done with the underside, block sand the hood up top.

What Mark said. A decent (not 5-minute garbage) epoxy-and-microballoon slurry is probably your best bet to stabilize the groove (rough it up IN the groove thoroughly first to guarantee adhesion), then repeated primer / block sand / primer / block sand on top until you can't see any ghosting in the primer.

I would suggest an additonal step to Aces procedure. I would sand the hood, brush a cost of liquid glue over the area and then sand again. Then prime and sand. It has been my understanding that some ghosting can be caused by the lacpuer thinner invthe primer. The glue suggest has been advised by Mr. Obsessive. 

I would suggest an additonal step to Aces procedure. I would sand the hood, brush a cost of liquid glue over the area and then sand again. Then prime and sand. It has been my understanding that some ghosting can be caused by the lacpuer thinner invthe primer. The glue suggest has been advised by Mr. Obsessive. 

They don't call him that for nothing. That guy is Goooooood!!!