Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Quick builder" C7 Corvette Stingray Convertible...... Body Painted with OPI Nail Polish Deep Red Metallic Pearl (3/11/16

Kennyboy

Picked up the new Stingray Snap tite and just had to cut the top off! Used an older Corvette convertible trunk to fill in the hole. A little interesting to get the lines to match and although the trunk lines don't match the 1:1 (no vents on the quarters of the convertible...) I like the look of it. Gonna paint it Toreador Red over HOK Goldmine Pearl. It will have the ZR1 brakes behind the wheels. Enjoy!

P1010336_zps4remyzwj.jpg

P1010337_zpse7ajkp10.jpg

P1010338_zps5bgwibh7.jpg

P1010334_zps8itps3um.jpg

P1010335_zpspsaucqyq.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy

nice job...looks much better as a convertible to me.

Thank you Mike......was hoping when I cut the top off I wasn't going to regret it!

Nope! your thoughts were exactly what I thought when I looked at it sans top.

Edited by Kennyboy

Note that the conv C7 doesn't have the vents on the rear fenders so you could fill them and smooth the cars lines even more. This is an interesting build and certainly proves the the conv C7 looks better then the coupe. I just picked up a couple of these kits the other day but will build a coupe first. It's abetter kit then I expected. When I first got the C7 promo I was very worried but clearly this kit is not based on the same mold.

• 5 months later...

Digging this up from the grave for an update.....

Worked on the chassis for quite awhile to replicate the 1:1, being it was all one piece it was a REAL challenge to paint all the details (think promo-style.)

1st the 1:1

cblogger2-640.jpg

Now my attempt (excuse the cel phone pics)

If the body looks half as nice as the chassis, then I'd say you have a winner! That chassis looks fantastic.

Thank you Mike......fingers crossed

Fantastic detail on the chassis!what colors did you use?.

Thank you Curtis,

used Testors flat aluminum for the aluminum parts, Testors Metallic silver for the exhaust pieces, and Polly Scale Greasy black for the monoleafs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Finally got the body painted....used OPI nail polish cut at 60% Lacquer thinner. (color is called "Romance on the moon".....:huh:)

It matches the color I was shooting for, so I went with it!      As you can see, small movements can change the look of the paint color.

Where did you find that brand of nail polish? Gorgeous color!!! Have to tag along with the woman when she replenishes her beauty supplies again. Kinda makes me laugh when I go to a store by myself and watch the look I get when purchasing nail polish. Nowadays you'd probably get less judgement for wearing the stuff than building models with it! :wacko:

Edited by Phirewriter