Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral 2D Spyder - CanAm?

aurfalien

Hi,

While waitng for a Dino 206 body to come as I destroyed the previous one, I decided to make some progress on an idea; a Chapparal 2D Spyder CanAm.

I had an extra Fuji Chaparral 2D kit due to missing key parts from the intial one bought off fleaBay.  I duplicated said parts via a resin casting kit so the 2nd Fujimi kit eneded up being complete.

I scratch built the wheels in terms of combining tires to make some fat ones.  And also built the rims from some lame ones I almost gave away.

I bought an already assembled Monogram 2D off eBay for $4.95 for its fenders which were grafted on to the Fuji kit.

I had used Bondo spot glaze but it melted the fenders so it took me hella effort to make em ok.  Crazy Glue was used to re enforce and harden em as they were rubbery.  I then used Tamiya White Putty for the repair work.

I read after the fact that warpage could happen when too much Bondo is applied, which it was.

I'm scratch building the engine from some parts; a 426 Hilborn Injected some thing or other from some one who is no longer in biz.  Webers will be used with some tall intakes.  A lot of work was already done on the engine beileve it or not.

The idea will be to paint it Sunoco style.

There is still 2-3 putty/sand/spray sessions left which require me to lightly spray with Tamiya grey primer in allowing imperfections to show as I go along.

All in all a total f-ing PITA but I'm making progress, at times like Molasses up hill.  This is technically my 3rd project and man model building has proven very hard for me.

As afx once said, I am picking too advanced topics to start with but its how my mind works, a curse at times.

Anyways, this will be done in several months as I can't wait to put it down for a while.

overall.jpg

rear.jpg

wheels.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Nice project, but now you've discovered on your own another of the reasons not to try to use the ONE-PART putty for heavy fills.

Even though it's "Bondo brand", it's NOT BONDO.

The generic term "bondo" means a TWO-PART, catalyzed polyester putty.

The red stuff you're using is a one-part LACQUER PUTTY.

Lacquer putty contains lacquer thinner, which is a solvent that melts plastic. When the one-part putty surface dries, the lacquer thinner goes down into the plastic instead of evaporating off of the surface.

Result...sometimes badly warped model parts, as you've now learned.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm struggling with finishing my Dino 206 as I ran out of silicone to cast the front quater panel, I decided to work on the Chap.

What follows is several and I mean several hours of wet/dry sanding several thin layers of Tamiya Putty as a base followed by several thin layers of Bondo Spot Putty.  I used Perfect Plastic Putty as a filler due to its water base being non destructive to plastic.  It sands like a$$ FYI so best to apply with wet fingers.

It's still very begining stage but I like the progress.

The body is where I like it.  I'll prolly d engine work this weekend.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've still more;

- Sanding session on the body.

- Tweaking fitment to frame.

- Paint main body.

- Paint wing and attach.

- Other finsihing tweaks.

But so far so good.  I'm putting it down for a few to finsih my Dino 206 as I cast it's front fender which was BADLYwarped.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

The front wing I added was buggin so I re foiled it as well as the passenger seat block.  I added a brass rod to help mask any potential edge lift and give it some cool detail.

Still a very WIP as they say.

There are a lot of imperfections and mistakes made in the cockpit which I am relying on the body to cover.  You'll see a lot of shmegma here and there.

IMG_1303.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

Ha, yes Monsignor Crazy I know I know.  I was waiting to be called out :)

I'm calling this a private race team car and wll have some kind of story behind it as I did with my 908.  Mebbe Steve McQueen?

Forgot, this was a Chevy 427 Hilborn blown drag motor by Gibson Ross which I heavily tweaked.

Edited by aurfalien

Yup! Fords don't have their distributors in the back. Nice work. I like stories.

Doh, in fact I think its backwards in general :(

I wasn't even thinking.  Due to room etc, I wanted max visibility and chose the back end of the engine.  I may or may not change it, would be a PITA at this point to do so.

Oh well, this is after all a fictitious car so the engine layout can also be a one of a kind.  This will definatly have a story behind it now.

Why Change it!? The Engine is a Perfect reproduction of the Ford 9.5ltr Titanium Block and Head CanAm Prototype Engine. Ford's Upper Management figured because the Chevys were Dominating the CanAm series and their Distributor was in the back maybe that was the secret and for this project they moved theirs to the rear.    Sadly the project was dropped because the High mounted Wing was Outlawed - That's my story n I'm stickin' to it!