Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our police officers

cobraman

This posting is not meant to be political in any way. If deemed it is please remove it. I just wanted to say that I am saddened by all the recent attacks on our policemen. If you are in law enforcement please be careful out there. It seems like this job is getting more and more dangerous each day. There are still a great many of us who respect and appreciate the job they do every day and to them I say " Thank you ".

Hear hear! I agree, the vast majority of our police force are not thanked enough. Any circumstances that involved me and the police were tragic news for me, but I felt sorry for the officer that came to my door to give me the news. Not easy for them at all!

X2. Amen.

November will be 36 years and two different agencies for me.

I retired once, from arguably the most violent city in America, and never felt like I had a target on me. Ever. At least not like now.

8/29/15 was the anniversary of the death of a co worker and friend. His partner that night was wounded so severely, she retired shortly thereafter. I have known her since she was 15. 

There isn't a day goes by I don't thank the man above for allowing my survival.

On two occasions I came close, real close. Too darn close.

Four other times I squeaked by and made it through. 

All of us in, or retired, from the business thank you good citizens from the bottom of our hearts. Just acknowledging the issues we face daily goes a long way in our minds.  

my_last_day2.thumb.jpg.b8a55e5f6352bb17b

G

I'm in support of the police all the way. The recent shootings of cops around the courty is just plain wrong. The recent questioning of cops motives in several case is questionable and wrong in my opinion too. I'm sure there are some bad cops. But, most are good guys and gals, working hard to protect the average innocent person out there from the scum and idiots. I use to in younger days, get into a little trouble from time to time. I was one of idiots. But, since I got more honest and smarter over years. Guess what? I've had no run ins with the police what so ever. In the last 30+ years I've done nothing to attract the polices attention. I haven't even had a traffic ticket in well over 10 years. The police tend not to mess with people who follow the law, and act decent to each other. STOP shooting cops and other people! This results in nothing put trouble and accomplishes nothing positive in the long run.

Amen, G.  

Thanks to all of you who have posted encouraging, supportive comments, and to all of you who have thought them but not posted them.

Personally, I've worked my entire adult life in the criminal justice system in one way or another, seven years in uniform on the streets, many more in plainclothes or investigative roles.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't thank God I've survived (so far) alive and able to function nearly normally (we won't get into a few injuries along the way).  

Every time we hear news of another attack on police officers by militants, gang-bangers, gun-toting children, bomb-making radicals, or just plain crazies empowered by the news-media-inspired 'glory' of 'smoking bacon,' the lovely and gracious Mrs. B turns to me and repeats how grateful she is that I'm not wearing a uniform in these times. 

There may be a few bad apples in the law enforcement barrel, but we usually find them and eradicate them ourselves long before they do any serious damage to the public.  It's only extremely rare occasions when one slides through under the radar until he or she does something outrageous.  And, trust me, no one hates to see that happen any more than the rest of the law enforcement community!  

One can't say the same for the wackos who espouse their war against the peacekeepers.

Another cop was murdered the other day right here in my neck of the woods (Fox Lake, IL).

Being a cop is hard enough. I can't imagine the stress they have to go through in their jobs. But when there are people apparently making "statements" by specifically going after cops... sheesh.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. I couldn't perform that job.

Another cop was murdered the other day right here in my neck of the woods (Fox Lake, IL).

Being a cop is hard enough. I can't imagine the stress they have to go through in their jobs. But when there are people apparently making "statements" by specifically going after cops... sheesh.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. I couldn't perform that job.

Very sad news story, I was watching it on the ABC news today, the officer that was killed was to retire after 30 years on the police force, at the end of the month.

I don't know what it is, but more coppers get killed right before retirement than when they are brand new and stupid.

I suppose it's the thought of finally getting out the allows one to let down their guard so to speak.

This guy killed in Fox Lake by all accounts was a hard charger, so I don't really think that was the case. 

It's a dam  n shame.

G

I have a son who has entertained the thought of becoming a police officer and as of late have been encouraging him to consider another line of work. I think he would make a great cop- he has a grandfather who was one and I am sure some of his interest comes from him- but the current political climate is such that he would probably hate his job because of the media fueled whackos who have somehow made being a police officer a bad thing.

I didn't know the police officer from Fox Lake but know someone who did and all they could say was he was true professional and not one to do something foolish. Hopefully we will find out what happened yesterday that caused those three thugs to take his life, but in the meantime prayers for his family and police family will have to suffice. I cannot imagine what his wife and children are going through, losing a loved one in such a tragic manner is not what any of us are prepared for.

I hope that somehow the media will see through the BS and realize that giving legitimacy to these anti-police hate groups is not helping anyone advance any agendas and is doing more to widen the chasm between the two parties.

May all police officers finish each and every shift and make it home to their loved ones and for those not fortunate to do so, may God hold them in a special place in heaven.

I hope that somehow the media will see through the BS and realize that giving legitimacy to these anti-police hate groups is not helping anyone advance any agendas and is doing more to widen the chasm between the two parties.

May all police officers finish each and every shift and make it home to their loved ones and for those not fortunate to do so, may God hold them in a special place in heaven.

Amen to both these statements.

G

I don't see how anyone with even half a brain can fail to respect police officers who routinely and voluntarily risk their own lives, daily, to protect the lives and well-being of clueless civilians.

There's something seriously wrong in the world today.

Sure different world then when i was younger. These guys have it to easy in jail. Need to be more like the old days say like the movie Cool Hand Luke...

One doesn't have to like the positon, but one should respect it.

Modern society is built upon rules and regulations, which when followed, people prosper.

When not, pandemonium occurs.

Sure a few bad apples but thats called humanity.  Infact, look at a basket of apples, it takes but one or two to make em all look bad.  Wipe em clean and you find most are in fact very good.

Edited by aurfalien

Hate mongers actively encouraging police execution has been what I've been reading quite a bit of lately. 

And it appears that some are acting on it. I find sickening, disgusting, and utterly barbaric that our police are under such purposeful, wanton attack. If ever there was a justification for execution, the purposeful killing of any public safety official is a pretty good one to my thinking.

However, it also raises some questions in my mind and how much one feeds the other. 

On the other side, I see a lot of younger police officers acting just as thuggish and irresponsibly. The retired Lieutenant in Marlborough has become a friend of sorts, as we see each other in the hobby shop pretty regularly. It amazes him. Another retired local who went to work at the VA Police, and became friendly with my dad, called them "jack-boot skinheads." 

When I was collecting ballot signatures for myself, I heard a few people complain about out-and-out rudeness and borderline abuse from some of the younger guys on the force. As one elderly resident said, "I don't know which is worse, the police or the crooks." 

We know most of the causes of society going wrong, but what is causing the failing of so many of these young officers, who should realize their manner of treating others is just as important to survival as their service weapon, knight-stick (or flashlight,) and HTH fighting skills? I think that's something that should concern us all. Stress? Societal conditions being mirrored? Generational attitudes? I wonder what contributes, and in what proportion, they do contribute to these issues? 

I wonder what the best way to address it is?

The forgoing may sound a bit disrespectful; it is not intended to be, but rather, I'm looking at it from the view of someone who, like all of us, cares about people who work in public safety, but also, wondering what they can actively do to make their jobs safer and possibly, their lives a bit easier.

It does not excuse animalistic behavior by others, but I do wonder how much mishap has been triggered by people with badges acting inappropriately.

I have friends on the job. If I thought I could pass the physical stuff and handle a gun, I would've tried it when I was a younger guy. 

After watching things degrade in the last ten years, I'm glad I didn't. 

It makes me all the more glad those that did, and that truly worthy, have done so. 

The clowns not withstanding, we owe a debt of gratitude to the ones that are true credits to their sworn duties. 

Dan and Wayne, thank you to you both in particular. You, from what I have seen, are credits to your profession, and we should be thankful men like you are engaged in it.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, you hit the nail squarely on the head with that hammer my friend.

I was told from the beginning that my mouth could get me into trouble quicker than ever. I was also taught how to talk myself out of trouble and schmooze the situation until lots of help got there.

The job is nothing but communication and common sense. It seems some of my cohorts forget that communicating means speaking and listening. Interpersonal skills are an art form.

I was always fortunate to work with the best and smart enough to shut up and learn.

"We the people" means just that.

i.e. You don't have to be a jag off to get the job done.

"Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto"

It was our motto, says it right there on the badge. It was drummed into us daily in the academy and we were constantly reminded of it throughout our careers.

"Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law"

popo.jpg

G

Edited by Agent G

It does not excuse animalistic behavior by others, but I do wonder how much mishap has been triggered by people with badges acting inappropriately.

Having worked in a radio newsroom for five years and as a TV news producer for five more, I'm troubled to have to call out the national media for some of this. Good cops get the local spotlight now and then, but bad cops get in the national spotlight for days on end which unfairly paints all cops as jack-booted thugs. It makes cop haters feel justified in lashing out against any anonymous member of law enforcement, which may be validated by even more publicity.

Having worked in a radio newsroom for five years and as a TV news producer for five more, I'm troubled to have to call out the national media for some of this. Good cops get the local spotlight now and then, but bad cops get in the national spotlight for days on end which unfairly paints all cops as jack-booted thugs. It makes cop haters feel justified in lashing out against any anonymous member of law enforcement, which may be validated by even more publicity.

Yeah, and that's a really unfortunate truth about media in general. The awful stories are the ones that get top billing, not the good-guy stuff. I don't know if the public actually WANT to hear all the horror-stories, or if the media trains them to.

Just for the record, the last two police officers I had contact with, both detectives for my home county, were two of the most intelligent, professional and helpful people I've EVER had the pleasure to do business with, in ANY context.

Having worked in a radio newsroom for five years and as a TV news producer for five more, I'm troubled to have to call out the national media for some of this. Good cops get the local spotlight now and then, but bad cops get in the national spotlight for days on end ...

Because that's the nature of the "news."

If Officer Jones arrests a suspect without incident, that's the norm. That's the way it goes down 99% of the time. There are thousands of arrests every day where nothing out of the ordinary happens... that's not "news."

But when something out of the ordinary happens, the media jumps all over it, because that's "news."