Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Thunderbird

Anderson_15_

Just finished this '62 Thunderbird. Used Tamiya's Light Pearl under Tamiya's Pearl Clear. The base coat is just Krylon paint and primer Flat White. With lack of glue I made adjustable steering wheels as well. This is probably my best build so far so here's a bunch of pictures to show it off.

pacens iphone 2 056.JPG

pacens iphone 2 057.JPG

pacens iphone 2 058.JPG

pacens iphone 2 060.JPG

pacens iphone 2 061.JPG

pacens iphone 2 062.JPG

pacens iphone 2 063.JPG

pacens iphone 2 064.JPG

pacens iphone 2 065.JPG

pacens iphone 2 067.JPG

pacens iphone 2 068.JPG

Looks like you did a great job!  That Tamiya paint is very close to Ford's Acapulco Blue, a 1962 Thunderbird color, and it looks like your painting ability matches your assembly skills.

Couple questions: 

1) Can you elaborate on what you did to create poseable steering?

2) Any particular reason you left the engine bay bracing white? 

Nice work overall, but you'd better add a driver's side mirror before Harry notices. B)

Ya i know i left out a lot of BMF. just didn't want to ruin it. wasn't sure i could pull it off so I played it safe.

Monty

1) I included some pictures to help explain. There are two pins that go into holes on the suspension. rather then gluing them together, I left out the glue so now i can move them around. (individually of coarse) 

2) I couldn't figure out how I wanted to paint it so I decided to bring the interior color into the engine bay by painting it white to match

the mirrors were molded terribly together and broke when i tried to take them off the tree. plus the mirror faces were half chrome half white plastic and just plain crappy. And I have Chrissifer Lew to thank for painting tips

pacens iphone 2 072.PNG

pacens iphone 2 073.JPG

Edited by Anderson_15_

I think all remarks were already done. The car looks great, very clean. This kit is a little tricky to final assemble, and this one looks perfect.

A search on the parts box for a mirror is needed, at least to avoid certain remarks of certain moderators that have a disturb called nomirrorophoby. Every time he sees no mirror he has terrible pain... you know where:D

Ooo baby. Now that's what a T-Bird is meant to look like. Really lovely.

I'd still encourage adding the long BMF trim. Rather than adding the foil and trimming the excess, I'd cut the thin strips first, then carefully add them. No risk of scratching your paint with a blade. That's become my preferred method for many applications. Pretty car Pacen.

Those wheels make the build! They look both retro and contemporary simultaneously. Nice work. I think it looks fine without foil on the trim strips. The front badge scripts could use a bit of something, though. Maybe even lightly, carefully grazing them with a silver sharpie marker would do the trick.