Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wright Brothers Chevy

IJ001

OK, starting-up this my newest NASCAR project - The inside is two coats of Xtracolour enamel 'ADC Grey' - my colour of choice for NASCAR interiors.

This kit is much simplified in the construction and very 'soft' in detail - a legacy of the 'snap-fix' pre painted kits that Revell promoted in the early 2000's. Have a look at the insides here - almost complete with just five pieces which (virtaully) snapped together, the 1993 Pontiac that I'm wrestling with at the moment, the cage on that build is complete and took ten individual pieces which are all warped and most too short in length.

I like simplified builds, means I can get to the 'fun' part sooner.

Speaking of which - Acrylic white primer from Halfords - the biggest car accessory chain in the UK, and a fantastic source of good quality and cheap aerosol paint... I do miss that over here. Two coats and the outside is done. I was going to use their 'Volkswagen Silver Grey' as the main colour, but on checking the tin, there may not be enough, no worries, I have an assortment of Tamiya acrylics in the stash to call upon.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More when the 'real world' allows.

Ian.

inside.JPG

primed.JPG

Primed & can.JPG

Thanks gentlemen. It's 'Fathers Day' here in New Zealand tomorrow, but it came 24hrs early for me because at 1030, Frau and the 'little darlings' went in to town to the pool and didn't come home until 1500, AND there were no chores to do AND it was a warm spring day... perfect !!

Sprayed two coats of Tamiya 'Silver Leaf' straight from the rattle-can, which covered really well, but has dried satin. Not to worry a couple of coats of Klear/Future will sort that out.

Thanks for taking the time to look, more after a word from your local stations...

Ian.

silver 2.JPG

silver 1.JPG

• 1 month later...

Haven't worked on this since the last update, but got a couple of aircraft builds off the bench recently, so this has made a return. The progress is pretty-much self evident, the 'silver' has had three coats of Humbrol Gloss Cote (sic), each one polished back before the next. Then the cowl & skirts were sprayed Tamiya matt black, and the front air dam sprayed and orange/red again using Tamiya acrylics using my tried and trusted 'Mark 1 eyeball' method.

So now it's back on the bench, won't be too long before it gets decalled. There's a '98 Taurus ahead of it which will be completed first. Have to say this is my first 2003 bodied Chevy, and I really like the way it looks, that elongated nose makes a h*ll of an improvement over the 2000/02 cars.

More soon from 'Middle Earth' and thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian.

paint done 1.jpg

paint done 2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good morning folks from the Land of the Long White Cloud...

So after a l-o-n-g break from car builds in general and NASCAR builds in particular I've dragged the 2003 Monte Carlo back to the bench; Not just that, but I found a 2000/03 Taurus body and rolling chassis that I'd completely forgotten about !!

2_x_chassis_(1).thumb.jpg.809aa8fc3c4bbc

2_x_bodies_(1).thumb.jpg.51e52ff28133cb5

To be fair, it's all Disney/Pixar's fault, went to see Cars 3 a couple of weeks ago with the kids, absolutely loved it, great movie, and of course, my nine-year-old has pulled-out all his old Disney Cars die-casts AND done a school project on Richard & Kyle Petty so absolutely no surprise that I'd re-discover my enthusiasm for NASCAR models !! - Oh yeah, and next April, we're going to Florida for our hols and staying in an apartment on DAYTONA BEACH !!

Stay tuned more soon, real life permitting.

Ian.

So I had a thought this morning, given how prone to tearing Slixx decals are, I decided to mitigate the (anticipated) problem by spraying the air-dam and roof blue - so if the decals do tear, at-least there's a shiny blue underneath to make patching a little easier.

ready_for_decals_3.thumb.jpg.0d6d651930c

Ian.

Decals are happening, folks...

decals_1a.thumb.jpg.b2e37e53b137ac338ae2

decals_1b.thumb.jpg.587e46824c8d9852e93f

So far so good, with no tearing or rips. Need to touch-up on the 'B' pillar and where the red folds over the top of the 'door'. Just wondering why the last Slixx sheet I used behaved so disasterously and this one is behaving so well ? - talk about inconsistency !!. Ahh well on with the project... I'll let these dry overnight then tomorrow shoot a varnish coat to seal them all in before more decalling later in the week.

Ian.