Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tootsietoy Paint Tests

AzTom

These are a few old diecast trucks and cars from my junk box that needed paint jobs.  I dig some of these out every now and then to test new paints or just practice on. Some I will keep in the collection, others I will sell at the antique mall for hobby money.

They were all stripped and primed with self etching primer. 

TootsieIrwinMidgtoyStripped-vi.jpg

This is a Midgetoy Ford wrecker about 3 in long.  It's paint with Testors MM Guard red with a drop of hardener added. 

MidgetoyFordWrecker-vi.jpg

Midgetoy 58 Corvette about 2-1/4 in long. Painted with Testors Aztec acrylics.  This is with out a doubt the best acrylic paint I have ever sprayed in an airbrush.

Tootsietoy58CorvetteCopper-vi.jpg

Here we have both Corvettes, one Copper and the other Guard Red finished. 

Edited by AzTom

Thanks Ray. I love doing these and it's easy to make some extra hobby money:wub:

This a beverage truck made by London Toys and is about 3 in long.  The paint is Createx acrylic. Very easy to use, pretty hard to mess this stuff up.

This one is Tootsietoy and is about 4 in long. I painted it with MM Lacquer Hugger orange and did not clear coat it. I just polished it with a automotive polish and it made it look more like the original paint.  Clear coat looks great but too glossy for old toys. 

Okay, finished up a few more of them.  Here is the Midgetoy Wrecker done. This one is only 3 in long.

This is the Jaguar made by Irwin  It's 6 in long and painted with MM rattle can Acapulco blue. 

I would like to find some Pepsi decals for the beverage truck.

Do you paint detail them such as the lights and grills and such ?

For the most part only when the originals were painted that way.  When I do paint the details, I cut out a cardboard mask and spray the silver using it. That way you get the correct amount of over spray around the edges of the bumpers and grills. If you have seen nice original Tootsietoys you know what I'm talking about.  

That said I, I will do some custom cars once in a while. ,

So is the point to restore these little guys to "as new?" How does a repaint affect collector value? Isn't messing with the original finish, no matter how bad, a no-no as far as collectibility goes? I know I've seen countless instances on "Antiques Roadshow" where some unsuspecting owner stripped off the old finish on an antique piece of furniture, applied a new finish, and was shocked to find out that by stripping the original patina and refinishing the piece that they had caused the value of the piece to drop by 50% or more.

Original finish is what collectors want. How does that apply to these guys?

Interesting. Are you matching the originsl colors? 

On these they may not be exact but close.  

So is the point to restore these little guys to "as new?" How does a repaint affect collector value? Isn't messing with the original finish, no matter how bad, a no-no as far as collectibility goes? I know I've seen countless instances on "Antiques Roadshow" where some unsuspecting owner stripped off the old finish on an antique piece of furniture, applied a new finish, and was shocked to find out that by stripping the original patina and refinishing the piece that they had caused the value of the piece to drop by 50% or more.

Original finish is what collectors want. How does that apply to these guys?

Harry, Good questions.    Not necessarily to restore to "as new" but to make them look good on the shelf.  

Unlike 100-200 year old furniture, most toys from the 50's need to be in pretty good condition to have any value. There are exception but most diecast vehicles that have less than 50% of the paint on them would be worth more if they were repainted.  Most people want one to look good on the shelf. There are purist type collectors out there, I'm one of those most of the time, but they want near perfect originals. 

Antique Cast iron toys, no matter how bad the paint is, you do NOT repaint them.