Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt's white western star

Hi all

I recently picked up AMT's reissue of the white western star and had a quick couple of questions. First off is the front grill Emblem correct on this truck? Every white western star I look at has the word "White" spelled out in the front grill however the amt kit has a western star logo cast in. 

Secondly were single round head lights an option on these trucks in those years?  I've seen a photo of one or two with single round lights and thought it might be nice to add that to the amt kit. 

Thanks 

The illustrations on the 1973 brochure show this emblem, but I have never seen an actual truck of this era with this emblem. I have, however, seen several examples with the single headlights. Depending on what you are wanting to build you have options. Since the 73 brochure shows this emblem, there may have been some made this way, or if you are making a modern day custom, the sky is the limit. If you are wanting to make a period correct truck like we see in most photos, sand the emblem off and replace it with a photo-etched one. You will notice on my builds that I'm not a "rivet counter", though I respect the ones who are, but my philosophy regarding model building is: that if you are not making an exact replica of a particular vehicle, then you have freedom for variation. Remember, in the 1:1 projects, people have made all kinds of variations of vehicles. I have plans to build one myself using the old 4000 style hood, I've just got to make a grill (and finish my other projects)( L.O.L.). Keep us posted on your build, I like Western Star's!...Brian

Those look nice but the font dosnt match up to the "white" letters I'm seeing on the real trucks. Guess I'm stuck without! 

Something about the round single lights really looks nice on these trucks too

Maybee I'm best off getting a road boss as it's got the look I'm after too

image.jpg

Edited by ShaunCN

I build one as a junker a while back- I used a stick-on "White" logo from Bossen Implement. I'd have to look at my invoice to see exactly which ones I bought- they make a few different sizes in white and black. They're printed on a clear adhesive-backed carrier, but if you trim the carrier close to the lettering it looks okay. 

Then I did one with single headlights, just because I could. :D

The kits are missing a small peak on the tops of the fenders, but it can easily be added using some D-section plastic strip. Tim Ahlborn did this on one a couple of the Stars he built. 

Really nice kit, even if the hood-to-cab fit needs a little work (just like pretty much every other old AMT big rig kit). One of these days I'm building one as the Green Goblin from Maximum Overdrive. 

• 3 weeks later...