Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rubicon- Slump Busted. Highly recommended kit.

I read a review of this kit and went out and bought one for myself. I can honestly say I had as much fun buildind this kit as any I've completed in recent years. Because it was a simple build, I didn't get mired down with details like how much wiring and plumbing to run under the hood, because, well, it doesn't open, nor is there a motor underneath. About the biggest change I made from the kit was to eliminate the cross-bar at the top of the roll cage, replacing it with a simple piece of tubing. I know the overhead bar was supposed to be there, but I just didn't care for the part. Looked like something out of a ski-boat to me. Also eliminated the row of off-road lights across the windshield frame. I'm a bright boy but I could only make those things point at the hood. Welp, c ya I said, I'll use them on another build. 

It's hard to capture how grear this kit looks on a shelf with just a photo. It really comes together quickly and starts to look good early in the build. Do take the tip of turning out the screws a couple turns for a budget lift kit, it brings the model up dramatically. 

P8311873.JPG

Nice job on the Rubicon. I agree it is a great kit, simple but there is enough to it that you can use it to build something more complex, or detail it out a bit. I built one last year and it was the first time in I don't know how long that I finished a kit the same week I started it. The Ford Raptor seems to share many of the same positive features of this kit which to me is a good sign we may get more "advanced" snap kits from Revell.

Beautiful work....It looks pretty good....I've been delving into the snap world, myself, and have found the same things to be true......They ARE a very nice departure from more difficult models.....Not much thinking and much more fun.....I need to get onto the one I have in the stash......

Nice job on the Rubicon. I agree it is a great kit, simple but there is enough to it that you can use it to build something more complex, or detail it out a bit. I built one last year and it was the first time in I don't know how long that I finished a kit the same week I started it. The Ford Raptor seems to share many of the same positive features of this kit which to me is a good sign we may get more "advanced" snap kits from Revell.

Aaron:

I built this one in a week also, which I thought was a great change to my usual 2-3 year build out. Thanks for the tip on the Raptor! 

Beautiful work....It looks pretty good....I've been delving into the snap world, myself, and have found the same things to be true......They ARE a very nice departure from more difficult models.....Not much thinking and much more fun.....I need to get onto the one I have in the stash......

This is actually a glue kit, just a curbside. It was a fun change from the more complex kits I've been mired down in. Well worth the price- 

What can I say just a cool model really like it nice color you used ??

Don aka XJ6 ? 

XJ6:  the color I used is the new Gloss Khaki 2X rattle can.. I like it because it has more brown than most khakis, which tend to lean to a grayer shade of tan. It looks great shiny, and even better when knocked down with matte. I almost went matte on the whole body rather than just the tail gate diamond plate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave:

That's beautiful. I'm going to have to share pics of my Chevy Pulling truck now- 

Actually used to live in Surprise, what a small world. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Thanks!  and what a Surprise!  lol  we have been out here for about 8 years now...we like it....need a hobby shop out here though!  Please share that Pulling truck also! 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...