Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Meyers Manx question

Hi all

I've just aquire one if the recent reissues if the AMT Meyers manx kit, I have one question to anyone who has the kit or has built it.

The front wheels are shown as being held on by metal pins, I cannot find these pins anywhere in my kit even though everyting us bagged as new, where they packaged in a separate bag or in with something else.

Thanks

Gary

.....the pins are white plastic stubs, located on the white parts tree beside your front axel set up....  the rear axel states its metal , however the front mounting pins make no mention of  this....hope this helps out, Gary.........best,...the Ace........B)

Thanks Ace ! Found them, my kit is the yellow moulded Elvis version but they are there next to the frt axle, thanks for your help mate.

Mark, yes on my instructions they are noted as "metal stub axles", that's what confused me, I didn't even think of looking for plastic ones! Lol. Thinking about it they would be metal stub axles on the full size manx that's obviously what they meant. 

1441222992026-1777513189.jpg

The original-issue Manx (and AFAIK all derivatives of it) had metal "stub axles." I believe these were probably some kind of common hardware-grade rivet, possibly aluminum, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking for such a thing. McMasters-Carr, or someplace like that, perhaps?

Some of the late Sixties annual kits had those stub axles, which were probably aluminum rivets of some sort.  They didn't work too well because they left the front wheels on the wobbly side, and unless you got them in really good the front wheels ended up bowed in at the top.  I think AMT was trying to eliminate axle holes in engine blocks at the time, and that was an attempt at a solution.  Then for 1970 they went in the other direction, and put those huge diameter axles in some of the kits...

Some of the late Sixties annual kits had those stub axles, which were probably aluminum rivets of some sort.  They didn't work too well because they left the front wheels on the wobbly side, and unless you got them in really good the front wheels ended up bowed in at the top.  I think AMT was trying to eliminate axle holes in engine blocks at the time, and that was an attempt at a solution.  Then for 1970 they went in the other direction, and put those huge diameter axles in some of the kits...

I know what you mean--the '69 Chevelle comes to mind. Those were IIRC a steel rivet. The ones in the Manxes were different if I'm not mistaken.

I recall several AMT kits that used those rivets in the late 60s and possibly some early 70s cars as well. still have a pile in stock around here....I found that epoxy was the way best to keep them from being a disaster at retaining your wheel assembly in place....the Ace....;)

Edited by AC Norton
text