Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone else done this...Home Design programs

Scott Colmer

I have a designing program, too.

It's about five feet square and has an arm-like apparatus with these really cool sticks demarcated in inches, called rulers. 

And I use this really neat stuff that you can draw on with a pencil! It's called drafting vellum.

:)

Charlie Larkin

How in the world do you find the time to design stuff when you're so busy weaving your own cloth and churning your own butter? :P

It's about five feet square and has an arm-like apparatus with these really cool sticks demarcated in inches, called rulers. 

And I use this really neat stuff that you can draw on with a pencil! It's called drafting vellum.

Charlie Larkin

My "old table with a draft" now supports modeling supplies ... a good change of use.  And I use the straight edges of my original

"2-part calculator ruler" to make straight lines on plastic sheet.

Charlie Larkin

I have those too, but the virtual walk through isn't quite there.  :blink:

Hosted on Fotki

I had to look drawing cloth up because I never used it in my working life ... I first had drafting classes in High School in 1960. More properly called drafting linen, it was phased out in the 50's. We used mostly vellum for originals and had no drafting linen in our files dating from 1949. That could have been influenced by the fact that Crane Paper Company produced vellum in their paper mill across the street and we got it pretty reasonable as we were paper engineers and serviced their machines and buildings. :)

Yep, drafting cloth, drafting linen, same thing. It's very good stuff, and I suspect it was withdrawn as a consequence of its expense. I encountered my batch at an old factory that was built in the 40's for manufacturing war materials, though I'd also seen it in many older engineering facilities. Most of the original architectural and structural drawing files for the facility were still housed on-site, and the storeroom contained a fairly large quantity of the old drawing cloth, so my supervisor gave me access to some for my personal use.

I'd like to try one of these - believe the scale was 1/48:

d33a878e58c1d946c0355f2e76ba1ef3.jpg

Been looking for one of these for years; if I ever can actually build my house and go with mid-century modern instead of Craftsman, like I want, this could be quite usable. If nothing else, it looks like a lot of fun.

Charlie Larkin