Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realistic fuel filters

Hello. 

Where do i start searching for realistic looking "fuel filters"? I do not have old electric equipment i can use as donor. 

Maby there is any online shop who offers in the right size and do maby sell a batch of 10 or 20?  I`m not sure 

what the electric components are called in English,so if anyone could give a tip on what search words to use,

maby at Ebay or such it would be great. 

Thanks. 

Tommy 

Thanks for the suggestions. Seen some who kinda look like they are transparant and have color inside,looks like real petrol filters. 

Bill: The size would be 1:24/1:25 scale kits. 

You might have seen the ready made filters offered by some after market companies.

I just buy a couple occasionally from Model Roundup.

They carry the "Preston's Car Parts" filters with the filters & fuel lines ready to use.

More expensive than scrounging for your own, but less fooling around.

Steve

photo DSCN4431_zps9givegvm.jpg

You might have seen the ready made filters offered by some after market companies.

I just buy a couple occasionally from Model Roundup.

They carry the "Preston's Car Parts" filters with the filters & fuel lines ready to use.

More expensive than scrounging for your own, but less fooling around.

Steve

photo DSCN4431_zps9givegvm.jpg

These are perfect. I`ll take a look at Model Roundup and see if the have in stock. Never heard about Preston before,this is brilliant.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys. 

I should have guessed that shipping costs would have been prohibitive to Norway Tommy.

Here's a tip for you.

It would be quite easy to make your own.

Take a piece of clear sprue & heat it slightly, then stretch it to the desired thickness.

cut it about an inch long & drill a hole through the center of it lengthwise.

Then just cut it to the desired length, smooth the ends with a little sanding, thread your wire through & paint it with some "turn signal amber" paint.

I also like Mikes idea of painting the ends silver.

You could cut out the middle man & start with clear amber sprue as well.

I think I'm going to start making my own after I use up the ready made ones I have left.

I'm confident I could make one in about 10 minutes. ^_^

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. Seen some who kinda look like they are transparant and have color inside,looks like real petrol filters. 

Bill: The size would be 1:24/1:25 scale kits. 

Just a little note, most OEM fitment fuel filters, especially on '60s and newer, are solid metal cans, rather than being clear glass/plastic. The clear inline filters you see are pretty much always aftermarket items.

Now, for the older sediment bowl type used '50s and earlier, I do seem to recall a tip posted a while back that used an LED to make them.