Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo Apollo 92

This was a learning experience for me. I just got back into building after about an 11-12 year break. Let me be the first to say this truck has several flaws, but I enjoyed the build.

This truck was inspired by the Apollo 116 built by Sean ("Old Buckaroo") and a story with pictures of an Apollo 92 with a IH style sleeper that was on Hank's Truck Forum. The hood was shortened, the doors opened, the interior is scratch built other than the dash and seats, sleeper is from the 4300, 8v-71 is courtesy of the Titan kit, front wheels are Auslowe, and a lot from the parts box.

100_2223_zps8jqvvpai.jpg

100_2226_zpsii7nr5gy.jpg

100_2228_zpspjkpdb5s.jpg

100_2230_zps9zx20nts.jpg

100_2232_zpsqwjdpotu.jpg

100_2234_zpszruizwyk.jpg

100_2238_zpsewkrlnfk.jpg

100_2239_zpsljozwvcc.jpg

100_2240_zpsqeauceno.jpg

100_2241_zpsuc2yfwee.jpg

100_2247_zpscwgikjkn.jpg

100_2248_zpsc1j1g1ye.jpg

100_2249_zpsrisa0bdy.jpg

wow nice work pal , id like to get to this level of skill , i find it really hard to paint small things neatly , also the cab door opening , is the model like that or did you do the door , look amazing 

wow nice work pal , id like to get to this level of skill , i find it really hard to paint small things neatly , also the cab door opening , is the model like that or did you do the door , look amazing 

Thanks! But as far as skill goes I have very shaky hands and have trouble as well. But with that being said, I enjoy building. If you will build for enjoyment, and challenge yourself along the way, you may be surprised with what you come up with. The truck cab did not come with opening doors, this was my first attempt at opening doors. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Awesome build, looks like you drove it right out of the 70's.

Thanks! That's a big compliment!

To everyone else who have commented, Thank you so much! You all have been an encouragement to me!

Thanks! But as far as skill goes I have very shaky hands and have trouble as well. But with that being said, I enjoy building. If you will build for enjoyment, and challenge yourself along the way, you may be surprised with what you come up with. The truck cab did not come with opening doors, this was my first attempt at opening doors. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Thanks! That's a big compliment!

To everyone else who have commented, Thank you so much! You all have been an encouragement to me!

thats crazy , do you mind saying how did you do the doors , looks great 

I'm definitely not an expert and there are plenty of good tutorials on this Forum about opening doors, but I will be glad to tell you how I did it.

First: I take the tip of the back side (opposite of the cutting edge) of a X-acto knife and follow the gap around the door until it works its way all the way through. The corners sometimes take more effort. You'll be surprised at how clean this method cuts. After sanding the door and the jam I added trim inside the cab for the door to rest against. There are many choices for the hinge itself, but on this particular build, I used two dollhouse piano hinges on each door with plastic rod notched to look like hinge, filling in the gap between them. 

Next: the interior is somewhat of a challenge. Interior buckets generally taper at the bottom leaving a large gap. On this build, I gave the bucket a toss, and I made a new floor pan and with this being a short hood I made a dog house as well. This kit also had a glass bucket. I cut each individual windshield out of the glass bucket, used them, and threw the rest away. The dash had to modified as well as some other pieces, it is not perfect, but that is how I did it.

I'm learning too, and I've found that the folks on this Forum are eager to help. I wont always open doors on every build, but I think it does add to the realism. Give it a try, you might be surprised how it turns out.

thanks , looks great , trucks awesome , i think im going try light my first build up ive got a revell freightliner convensional with amt livestock trailer im going to do the porkchop express , i love the truck and film ,   so i think the sleeper will be used to house electronics battery etc , im not sure yet , its my first build havnt s clue how to even do electronics , but il figure it out lol ... but i will deffinatly try the open door on one of my models soon , next truck after this , thanks for the tips 

Edited by jonnieboy

• 2 weeks later...

Good work!

Thanks!!!

Awesome truck! very realistic looking! I wanted to ask what you used for the "diamond pleated" interior parts?  Nice to see an "eastcoast" looking truck on board!....................................Mark

Thanks Mark: the interior panels were made out of Plastruct sheet #91539 1/8 square panels cut diagonally. They actually work pretty well.