Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati 3500 GT (an old Aurora kit)

traditional

Could you post a picture of the "appropriate lights" you mentioned? 

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Although I bought my setup in Canada,  this Ebay example from  the States  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LimoStudio-Photography-Studio-12-and-30-Photo-Studio-Tent-Light-Backdrop-Kit-i-/351203861082?hash=item51c561a25a  is similar to the one I bought..... In fact, it has even more equipment.

It takes a few practice pics to get to know the appropriate lighting for model cars, but it certainly makes indoor photography easier.

Thanks a lot..This is a mayor leagues lights set up!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Although I bought my setup in Canada,  this Ebay example from  the States  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LimoStudio-Photography-Studio-12-and-30-Photo-Studio-Tent-Light-Backdrop-Kit-i-/351203861082?hash=item51c561a25a  is similar to the one I bought..... In fact, it has even more equipment.

It takes a few practice pics to get to know the appropriate lighting for model cars, but it certainly makes indoor photography easier.

Edited by simonr

This old line of Aurora/Monogram kits were very nice and you've taken this build way past nice. I have the Monogram reissue in my stash I think you're inspiring me to dig it out and take a look at it. Revell should think of reissuing this one, the Astin Martin and the Bugatti.

This old line of Aurora/Monogram kits were very nice and you've taken this build way past nice. I have the Monogram reissue in my stash I think you're inspiring me to dig it out and take a look at it. Revell should think of reissuing this one, the Astin Martin and the Bugatti.

This is a beautiful piece of model building. I think the Monogram version is still in the catalog -- at least, it's still widely available (PS: it's actually a fuel injected GTi). It's very difficult for super detailers -- for example, wiring would include a skinny loom tube with two plugs for each of the six cylinders and the single distributor wire blob is ridiculous). Rivet-counter mentalities like mine will be repelled by the huge inaccuracies in the body, particularly the nose, grille and front roofline, and other details, which are similar in the Aston.

The T35B Bugatti is superb, and is becoming more rare and expensive.

Edited by sjordan2

• 3 weeks later...

Usually I'm not so much into this type of cars (They can look very good, but usually I'm not so interested in them that I'd like to build one too) but this is an exception. After seeing this I somehow got an inspiration to build one of these. Well, luckily the kit is so old and expensive that I'm not buying one right away...:lol:

Excellent work as always, Cliff! It's always great to see your posts since your builds are usually something that's not seen every day plus that they are always top notch quality. Just like this one, great job.

No, I bought a 2'x2'x2' translucent tent and appropriate lights on Ebay........quite inexpensive and, after a bit of experimentation, manage to take reasonable pics no matter what the outdoor weather is like.

I still prefer to take pics outdoors in slightly overcast conditions, but at least now, I'm not stymied by the weather.

If those are taken inside you must have some better lights than I have. Does yours look like this?