Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 FORD UNBOXING

Dr. Cranky

Great build, Dr. Cranky!  I looked at the videos, and it sounds like you had as much fun as I am having with this kit.  I can't wait to see the next eleven.  Somebody needs to do a "Ratty Flattie" version of this one.  I am thinking the flathead from the '50 Ford would work well.  Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland has some nice vintage flathead speed parts, and Modelhaus has some cool wheels with the old chrome spiders  The exhaust would have to be scratchbuilt.  I might try this with the one that I am building now, but mine would be shiny.  I need to find a Mexican blanket decal for this version.  

I am looking forward to seeing how the Caddy motor you talked about fits.  That was one of the engines on my short list to try in the '29, along with a 409.  I'll be watching the workbench threads to see what you are up to, and I will keep checking out the vids.  

Happy buildin'! 

Great build, Dr. Cranky!  I looked at the videos, and it sounds like you had as much fun as I am having with this kit.  I can't wait to see the next eleven.  Somebody needs to do a "Ratty Flattie" version of this one.  I am thinking the flathead from the '50 Ford would work well.  Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland has some nice vintage flathead speed parts, and Modelhaus has some cool wheels with the old chrome spiders  The exhaust would have to be scratchbuilt.  I might try this with the one that I am building now, but mine would be shiny.  I need to find a Mexican blanket decal for this version.  

I am looking forward to seeing how the Caddy motor you talked about fits.  That was one of the engines on my short list to try in the '29, along with a 409.  I'll be watching the workbench threads to see what you are up to, and I will keep checking out the vids.  

Happy buildin'! 

Dave....interesting parallels here between your plans and my own third and fourth builds of this kit, which are a '29 Roadster Highboy built with the Model A frame instead of the '32 frame, and a kitbash of the channeled A chassis with the Replicas and Miniatures '30 Ford Model A Chopped Coupe, employing the extra unused instrument panel and floorboard, which fit Norm's Coupe body nearly perfectly.  

Like you, I'm using the Modelhaus painted steelies with the chrome spyder inserts (painted yesterday) on the Highboy, and I'm using a Caddy V8 on the '30A Coupe kitbash.  My Caddy engine is the unit from the Revell '59 Cadillac kit, with all the shiny accessories from the Revell-Monogram reissue of the original Parts Pack Caddy V8.  So far, looks like everything lines up well (probably requiring only the removed of the pin on the tranny crossmember, which should take all of five seconds).  

I would also like to do a flathead and a full transverse leaf rear spring/quick change conversion, but I think those are down the road a bit for me...would love to see how you do it.  

Cheers...TIM

Happy buildin'! 

I know one of the other Revell kits had a decal for a Mexican blanket for the seats. I don't remember which one though. For I did not purchase one. What I'm wondering, does anybody make a scale Mexican blanket that's not a decal? But some kind of real cloth in something close to 1/25th scale. Something like that at maybe Hobby Depot, or some other place, designed maybe for doll houses or the like?

Sounds like Tim has some cool stuff on the slab too!  I will use the Caddy motor out of the '49 Mercs, when I swap in a Caddy, because I have a couple of them handy.  I replicated a friends dream ride and used an Olds motor in a lead sled I build from the Revell kit, and I swapped a flathead into a woody.  That left me with a couple of caddies looking for a new home.  I won't bother with a stock build review at this point,because you did a great one with both versions of the kit.  I am switching the one I am currently starting on over to a flathead.  powered rod with a few goodies.  (I'll need to see what Norm has in his catalog)  I am not sure if I will go totally traditional, or if I will use a more modern flathead out of a '32 Sedan, or Revell's 40 or '48 Ford.  My bench time has been sparse lately, as I am taking care of a relative who has been needing a lot of medical care the last few weeks.  Hopefully things are settling down a bit, and I can grab some more building time.  The '29 is now sharing the bench with a Gremlin I am doing for the community build.  (Odd couple!)  

Super nice job Dr. Cranky. After a long lay off from building I started looking into returning to model building. I found a bunch of your videos on Y-Tube that helped get me started again. Thanks for the motivation.

Edited by Johnt671
Can't spell

• 1 month later...

I am currently building one of these nice kits. I did notice that the wheel backing Plates for the Brake drums are indexed upside down, also when I opened the box, the windshield frame was broken at the top. Upon a  closer inspection, I noticed the broken area was plated at the cracked spot, indicating it was broken at the plating process. 

I really like the weathered build of this kit, your model looks great. Otherwise, I fail to see the fascination with this kit. The engine looks like one of those over simplified engines from the early 60's Monogram "hot rod" kits and that to me, makes the whole kit look off. The weathered build makes it look so much better.

I guess I am just not much of a hot rod guy, other than Norm Grabowski's "Kookie" car and Roth's Outlaw and Tweetie Pie, I never had the eye for the rods. Oh well.