Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Ford Diesel "Noise Stroke"

Heres another Detroit powered Ford sitting on 73"s. Just to add some inspiration!

F9B845DF-48D3-47D3-A97A-EAAED10215DE_zps

Thanks for the inspiration pic Terry. Is that an 8v or a 6v in that truck? The picture looks like it was taken back in the day, maybe mid 80s. I've also been toying with the idea of tilting the hood like this one (would solve my warped hood problem), but I still haven't made a decision.

Thanks for the inspiration pic Terry. Is that an 8v or a 6v in that truck? The picture looks like it was taken back in the day, maybe mid 80s. I've also been toying with the idea of tilting the hood like this one (would solve my warped hood problem), but I still haven't made a decision.

The spec sheet on the truck just says "modified Detroit Diesel 653 cu". The pic was definitely took back in the 80s. This was one of the more expensive ones built. Tons of chrome, all sorts of custom cool stuff. There were only a few trucks with diesels and they weren't competitive in racing because the supercharged gas engines were getting so much faster. Here's another inspiration pic. It's a diesel powered Ford, but it's not a Detroit. It has a Continental out of a military truck.

King Kong built by Jeff Dane in Killeen Texas. First on 48"s then on 66"s.

The spec sheet on the truck just says "modified Detroit Diesel 653 cu". The pic was definitely took back in the 80s. This was one of the more expensive ones built. Tons of chrome, all sorts of custom cool stuff. There were only a few trucks with diesels and they weren't competitive in racing because the supercharged gas engines were getting so much faster. Here's another inspiration pic. It's a diesel powered Ford, but it's not a Detroit. It has a Continental out of a military truck.

King Kong built by Jeff Dane in Killeen Texas. First on 48"s then on 66"s.

FF4C90BC-E25A-4A4C-93DB-C9071C76240D_zps

9477F2E0-4C73-40B3-84EF-00C90B96563D_zps

1AE535CA-9EBF-42C2-933C-E61C25D6EDF7_zps

I think that I remember that truck. Cool pics by the way. Thanks for posting them!....Brian

Looks great. I may have an extra set of the fender flares from the AMT kit if you want them. This thing is gonna look awesome!

Thanks Terry! I believe I'm going to go flare-less on this one. I never really cared much for the flares back in the day. I just let the rocks beat my paint off.(LOL) I may take you up on the offer of axles and transfer case on my next build though. This build has gotten a lot of ideas going for future projects.  Of course, I have a lot more ideas than I will ever have time. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hows she comin  Brian? Any updates?

Been kind of busy. She has collected some dust though. Did work on the radiator for about an hour last night, and was totally unsatisfied, so now it's back to square one. Glued the bed together after that and then realized that I should have filled the casting marks on the inner walls of the bed. (I need better lighting and wear my glasses, LOL) So my first time back to work on it wasn't very productive. I'm back on it though. I got to get it finished because I been making plans for the Mack.

Well as I had mentioned before, I haven't had much workbench time, but here is an update. Transmission cooler with fan (pictured left) made, deep core radiator with pusher fan (pictured right) made. Interior 85% complete. Started some paint work. I should have waited, but I try to get as much done as I can when I can. You can get an idea of the paint scheme. The tape removed some white on the other side of the bed, so it is going to be a re-do at least on that side. Still a long way to go.

Thanks to everyone who has commented!!