Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Ford Diesel "Noise Stroke"

EVERYTHING looks better with a Detroit under the hood..................even a Ford! Awesome build, and one I would LOVE to have a 1:1 version of parked in MY yard! I used to own a garage and body shop with a towing service. Had a yard full of Detroits, running and parts...............only wish I had kept some of them to do this in 1:1 with after I closed the shop. Oh well, wishful thinking! So, I REALLY enjoy this kind of work!Keep the pics coming!!! Tom

• 3 weeks later...

NICE work so far Brian! I'm impressed with the suspension you did! NICE JOB! The Detroit is something different too! Question being, the place you found it, anything for inline 6's to represent a Cummins?

Got to ask whats the size of tires used in the last pic? -Please quote me in reply, so I know to look and where the post is, as I get lost pretty quick LOL

NICE work so far Brian! I'm impressed with the suspension you did! NICE JOB! The Detroit is something different too! Question being, the place you found it, anything for inline 6's to represent a Cummins?

Got to ask whats the size of tires used in the last pic? -Please quote me in reply, so I know to look and where the post is, as I get lost pretty quick LOL

Thanks John for the encouragement!

The engine is from a former caster called "Back Yard Shed". It was the last one that Sourkraut's had. It is listed as a 6v-92, but it has 71 series style valve covers. Auslowe still offers this engine. I have the Auslowe version as well, which is probably a better casting than this one. I am working on a set of valve covers to more closely represent a 92 series engine.

I don't know of a caster making a 6BT Cummins.

The tires measure 48.75" in 1/25th scale

Whoa, I just found this one.   Man Brian , this is one of the coolest projects I have ever seen !

I love that twin turbo'ed Detroit sixer . You have done some serious nice work on this one.  B)

Thanks Sean! This was originally going to be a stock 238hp 6v-71, but like most of my projects, it took a different direction.

Thanks John for the encouragement!

The engine is from a former caster called "Back Yard Shed". It was the last one that Sourkraut's had. It is listed as a 6v-92, but it has 71 series style valve covers. Auslowe still offers this engine. I have the Auslowe version as well, which is probably a better casting than this one. I am working on a set of valve covers to more closely represent a 92 series engine.

I don't know of a caster making a 6BT Cummins.

The tires measure 48.75" in 1/25th scale

Thanks for all that Brian! As for the tires, what size in millimeters are they I meant LOL -Should have been more clear....

The diesel I'm looking for I hope to find one to put into a '97 Dodge Ram "VTS" to make it a bit different from what its meant to be out of box..... (Just how I am!)

Thanks for all that Brian! As for the tires, what size in millimeters are they I meant LOL -Should have been more clear....

The diesel I'm looking for I hope to find one to put into a '97 Dodge Ram "VTS" to make it a bit different from what its meant to be out of box..... (Just how I am!)

The tires actually measure 1.95" or 49.53mm.

There is a caster on Ebay that has had a few 6BT Cummins for sale (I think) along with several Detroit versions named Kens Customs, but the quality in the photos has not looked very good so I have never ordered from them. Other than the scratch built ones on this forum I have not seen any others. I would like to find one or two myself.

There are some Powerstrokes out there though.

The tires actually measure 1.95" or 49.53mm.

There is a caster on Ebay that has had a few 6BT Cummins for sale (I think) along with several Detroit versions named Kens Customs, but the quality in the photos has not looked very good so I have never ordered from them. Other than the scratch built ones on this forum I have not seen any others. I would like to find one or two myself.

There are some Powerstrokes out there though.

I have bought a bunch of Kens 1/16 Cummins. They are a little rough, but workable. 

Brian ,I picked up the Detroit In-Line 6-71 from Kens Customs.  The quality is really good, a few air pockets but no near as bad those some of those  Blown Hemi Engines I use to assemble a decade ago and cost three times as much. Plus it is that white resin that is easy to work with.  I would buy 6 more if I could figure out what to put them in.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Sorry to distract your fine build again,

I dug out that straight sixer and looked it over and started assembling it. Nothing short of some small sanding sticks, files and a few other tools cant clean up. Not the highest quality but good enough for my applications. I have paid more for worse :rolleyes:  I should have it finished sometime tomorrow.

Edited by Old Buckaroo