Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Peterbilt 359

Finally wrapped up my first California Hauler. I took a few liberties, just because I could. I stretched the hood and used a later-model cab visor (for an 1100-Series cab). If I recall, on the early 359 the long hood was only available with the Allison V-12, and if you wanted a long hood, you had to order that engine.  So I doubt a Cummins-equipped 359 would have had a long hood. In case you’re wondering, I’d think that a Cummins would fit just fine under the stock hood. Maybe one of these days I’ll unplug the Cummins and put a Buzzin’ Dozen under the bonnet. Maybe not. I just love how it looks with the extended hood. If I stick with the Cummins I'll treat it to a little weathering so it doesn't look like a big white brick, like it does now. 

The kit fenders were a bit dainty and plain looking to me, so I used some modified fenders from a Revell 359 snap kit. That kit also barfed up it’s air horns. That visor came from the Revell 359 glue kit (Revell Of Germany now), and in hindsight I wish I’d painted it to match the cab rather than foiling it.

The paint is International Farmall Red, believe it or not. I tried to resist the temptation to paint a Peterbilt red but in the end I couldn't say no. I used larger Goodyear tires... the kit supplied Firestones looked a bit dinky.

The first full-detail 1:25 scale semi-tractor kit was this Peterbilt in it’s original 1969 T500 form, and this is the first Peterbilt model I have ever completed. So my first Peterbilt is a reissue of the very first 1:25 Peterbilt model kit. Seems fitting. 

Finally wrapped up my first California Hauler. I took a few liberties, just because I could. I stretched the hood and used a later-model cab visor (for an 1100-Series cab). If I recall, on the early 359 the long hood was only available with the Allison V-12, and if you wanted a long hood, you had to order that engine.  So I doubt a Cummins-equipped 359 would have had a long hood. In case you’re wondering, I’d think that a Cummins would fit just fine under the stock hood. Maybe one of these days I’ll unplug the Cummins and put a Buzzin’ Dozen under the bonnet. Maybe not. I just love how it looks with the extended hood. If I stick with the Cummins I'll treat it to a little weathering so it doesn't look like a big white brick, like it does now. 

The kit fenders were a bit dainty and plain looking to me, so I used some modified fenders from a Revell 359 snap kit. That kit also barfed up it’s air horns. That visor came from the Revell 359 glue kit (Revell Of Germany now), and in hindsight I wish I’d painted it to match the cab rather than foiling it.

The paint is International Farmall Red, believe it or not. I tried to resist the temptation to paint a Peterbilt red but in the end I couldn't say no. I used larger Goodyear tires... the kit supplied Firestones looked a bit dinky.

The first full-detail 1:25 scale semi-tractor kit was this Peterbilt in it’s original 1969 T500 form, and this is the first Peterbilt model I have ever completed. So my first Peterbilt is a reissue of the very first 1:25 Peterbilt model kit. Seems fitting. 

11221912_895408793848112_110650122724766

11942340_895408773848114_558067135979765

11958129_895408790514779_501399813914813

11230985_895408787181446_501605847351673

Nice work Chuck!!

By the V12 I believe you mean the Detroit Diesel 12V-71 (852 cu in, slightly under 14 litres) wich was for trucks, marine and stationary applications often called Buzzin' Dozen, not the Allison V-1710 V12 (1710 cu in, 28 litres))  wich is an gasoline airplane engine.

Wow! You did that kit justice! What a fine looking model.I like the color and the mods.

My first truck build was this same kit in 1970-71 and I still have that truck.It is now awaiting

a trip to the workbench for a refurbishing. I hope I can make it look as good as this one does.

Be Well

Gator

Very nice work, Man....Oh, yeah....It looks WAY better with the long hood.....Which is why we all love the 379 so much.....This is an outstanding variation of the Cali Hauler....I like it......You did a good thing with the wheels, too...Awesome....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...