Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Scale McLaren MP4/6.

nickyfzr

Hi

Just about finished the 1/12 scale FW14B I thought I'd start another F1 build. This time its the McLaren MP4/6. Planning on taking what I learned on the  Williams to try and push this build a little further.I was originally only going to add more of the wires and connectors and hoses along with the Thunder Valley detail set and Super Brake Package but after looking over the model I'm thinking about making a removable nose cone and detailing the brake reservoirs and steering linkage. I've never done any scratch building or major modifications to kits before but I think I'd like to. I'm starting with the body first then the monocoque.

Tamiya 12 Scale McLaren MP46 05.JPG

Tamiya 12 Scale McLaren MP46 04.JPG

Tamiya 12 Scale McLaren MP46 03.JPG

Tamiya 12 Scale McLaren MP46 02.JPG

Tamiya 12 Scale McLaren MP46 01.JPG

• 4 months later...

And the cockpit. Purchased the Top Studio cockpit detail set. Really nice detail set.Seat belts tighten like the real thing.Removed the blue and pink knob and used aluminum tubing to mount it so that it rotates. Suspension lever on the left side also moves forward and back with the metal rod sliding in and out of the electrical box. T handle on the left scratch built using aluminum tubing.

JbFVK2g.jpg

idfWMq4.jpg

gNHHc6A.jpg

Edited by nickyfzr

Some shots of the nose removal. I epoxied the suspension bracket in place and cut the nose off when it had cured.The steering rack was scratch built using aluminum and brass tubing.I have repainted the steering rack to better match the real one just don't have pictures now.

soXmFak.jpg

axwGhmW.jpg

mdyZmOv.jpg

IJaw3cc.jpg

1jrqpT6.jpg

XodXzY7.jpg

Edited by nickyfzr

• 3 weeks later...

Steering rack and shaft installed. The gear for the steering slides off of the original Tamiya part and fits onto the Top Studio part perfectly. I also glued a tiny piece of tubing on the steering shaft up by where the steering wheel goes because the shaft kept sliding out the front of the steering rack.

ZH3ATDe.jpg

ESxTUwi.jpg

Edited by nickyfzr

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ian

The carbon fiber on the rear of the monocoque is from Tunermodel Manufactory T2M-6006-B twill weave carbon fiber decal black/golden. The cockpit and other little pieces are Scale Motor Sports Plain Weave Carbon Fiber Black/Amber 1:24th. For the nose cone I used the Scale Motor Sports Plain Weave Carbon Fiber Black/Pewter.

• 1 month later...

Wow!, I finally took time to look at this thread.  I am very impressed with your work.  I can't wait to see what you post next.  I also want to publicly thank you for the help you have given me on my upcoming Williams build.  I hope to be able to do half as well as you!