Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Scale McLaren MP4/6.

nickyfzr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Installed the left side radiator. To me the radiators are the hardest part of this build. I had to paint them with the Alclad Polished Aluminum twice. I was afraid I made a mistake by cutting out the plastic radiator grills to replace them with Fine Molds AE-15 Metal Mesh #12 Radiator Patterns but there was no going back once I did. I tried installing the patterns after I shot the polished aluminum but I ended up messing up the polished look. I had to go back down to primer then install the radiator patterns and mask them off and re spray the gloss black and polished aluminum. The cooling duct was made by tightly wrapping .35mm wire around a piece of the kits black rubber tubing then wrapping it in a long piece of foil from the kit. Then I rubbed down the foil to let the wire wrapping show.

FMtNT1Q.jpg

Edited by nickyfzr
Photo deleted.

• 1 month later...

Almost finished with this build. Thought I'd post some pics and video link of the rain light I installed. I drilled out the light and used the Top Studio photo etch mounting bracket which is very accurate to the actual car. Lined the inside of the light with BMF and installed a blinking red LED. Right side pod house's the 3032 battery and micro switch. Battery holder has enough slack so that it can be pulled out of the side pod to replace the battery. Only issue is the cowling has to be removed to turn the light on and off. 

mb53sic.jpg

qsKd9up.jpg

UHHaEMy.jpg?1

Video of working rain light:

• 2 weeks later...