Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too bad the Monogram 1/43rd scale Ultimates" didn't last long.

I need to build those before my eye site won't let me see anything smaller than 1/12. LOL!:D

I hear ya Len! I've got both of those and I've never touched 'em! Too bad Monogram didn't see fit to make more models in that series. 1/43's can be great slump busters as they're usually curbsides. I wouldn't recommend these though as slump busters as they have as much detail as a 1/24-25 kit!

Definitely outstanding kits. The detail was unreal especially for the scale and price back then. Revellogram seriously needs to consider reissuing them. Both kits can still be had for $20-30 on evilBay.

They are nice and i have about 4 or 5 of each but 20-30 bucks is way over priced. Ive picked up each of my 8-10 kits off of Ebay for under 15.00 shipped.  Even managed to get the Vette and Cobra in one auction for 20.00 shipped.  

I also wish that the series would have continued. I've built them both. I don't have any photos of the Corvette handy, but here is my Cobra:

Workbench7099_zps97a78a5c.jpg

LeftRear_zps438ea7f7.jpg

For more photos see Peteski's Cobra Album

These kits were revolutionary. Just like much more expensive 1:43 resin kits they included photoetched parts. But unlike the thick and often crude resin-cast kit's parts, the injection-molded styrene parts and bodies were very well executed.  Plus the price was so much more affordable than any resin kit.

and don't miss the album. :o

Accept no imitations! Get your copy, pressed on gen-oo-wine, honest to golly, vinyl! 

MI0001827919.thumb.jpg.b038ad66b866b5412

Esque Reeder, Voolameister par excellence, sez

esq-t-front__32908.1407171632.1280.1280.

If it ain't a hit, I'll eat my...................................shirt.*

*Had you there for a minute, huh? ;)

PhrancPositivelyPhrancCOVER_zps7e6bdc6a.jpeg

Phunny stuff. This is what I was talking about :  http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/peteski7/library/Cars/289Cobra?sort=3&page=1  <_<

I know. I was just injecting some lowbrow humor. I'm good at that. :)

I checked out Peteski's album before. That is one hellacious build. I built a couple Cobras years ago for some guys at work. Now, I'm gonna search the great big dub-dub-dub for a few more for myself. These beauties need to be reissued and Revellogram should add to the series. There are a lot of worthy candidates.

The Monogram 1/43 line almost did continue on after the two kits shown.......but not at Monogram!!

Soon after Monogram killed the 1/43 line a key person at Monogram formed a group of folks to start a model company aimed at producing 1/43 scale plastic model kits. I was asked to help out. I modified and built 3 Starter brand 1/43 kits.....these were to be used to show what we intended to produce and to be used as display models at trade shows.  I don't have the exact reasons the project/company stalled.....but the US market wasn't ready for mass produced platic 1/43 kits. 

This venture did turn into another model related  entity but that's another story....... 

• 4 months later...