Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Chevrolet Impala

Junkman

To end a hiatus that lasted for over a decade, I decided to start with something simple.

This is going to be pretty much an out of the box build, fairly stock, Silver Blue poly with blue interior.
It's one of the builders that make up a large proportion of my collection. I got it decades ago and it was already primered.

There were some imperfections that needed to be addressed:

photo 002.jpg

photo 003.jpg

Also, a nasty tyre mark had formed on the roof

photo 004.jpg

which I hope I managed to sand away. The next coat of primer will show.

So, did some more prep work and primerisation, then shot the first coats of paint.

photo 005.jpg

That went well, alright. Bloody spray can spat some orange peel in the wrong colour, thanks for nothing.
Let's see whether I can rectify it, or it's off into the soup.

Why does this kind of stuff only happen to me all the time?

Aaaaarg!

Edited by Junkman

Yeah, rub it in.

What it looks like I'm not going to say on this forum, because bannerisation imminent.

Sorry Christian.

I didn't mean to be so blunt & I certainly don't want to be disrespectful.

Sometimes, depending on the type of paint you use, the metal flake can be very heavy.

You might want to try a very "vigorous" shaking of the spray can that you used.

Many times, when a metallic spray can sits for a while, most of the metal flake will sink to the bottom & "cake up".

If you don't shake it vigorously enough, you'll be drawing all of that heavy flake off of the bottom of the can.

I would try shaking & swirling the snot out of it for about five minutes to make sure everything is well incorporated & then maybe try another coat.

After a good sanding of course to smooth out any orange peel.

By the way, I agree. It is a very nice color!

Perfect for a '64 Chevy! :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Another approach to the vigorous shaking is to turn the can upside down (repeatedly) for several days, then shake the heck out of it.

I do this with a lot of paint I have around here, even Rustoleum....let them sit upside down for extended storage periods then shake before I spray or stir.

I like to warm the paint in a saucepan with about a 2 cups of water, to just warm enough to be a little warm to handle comfortably.

Wrap in a paper towel and shake like fury. Spray while warm (the other reason for the towel wrap.) That seems to get the most stubborn of paint cans to work well. 

Charlie Larkin

The can was upside down for several days, shaken vigorously, heated, and shaken vigorously again, like I do with all my spray cans.
I know the tricks of the trade.

That's not metalflake you see, it's the primer still showing through. The paint came out in spots and dollops, it didn't even cover everything.
When I tried it on a scrap piece beforehand, it appeared to be alright.

Anyway, it's in the soup now.

Edited by Junkman

Another approach to the vigorous shaking is to turn the can upside down (repeatedly) for several days, then shake the heck out of it.

I was just going to suggest that BTD.I do that to any paint that has been hanging around for a while

before I use it.

Yeah, I do hope so, too, thanks.
It wasn't exactly easy to obtain another can in this shade. After rummaging all the motor factors in town, I had to resort to order one online.

Too bad the soup will remove all the prepwork, i.e. filler etc. This thing has quite a few sink marks.