Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone using Alclad as a base for candies/'flake/pearl?

I have tested the waters on that, if the other Alclad finishes are like their Chrome, use caution with whatever you put over it. enamels and lacquers will lift it, pretty much immediately. Water based acrylics do much better, Tamiya acrylic works very well. Makes for an excellent "color chrome" effect, which was popular in the early '60s. Also, you might check with where you're getting Alclad from, as they do make "candy" topcoats for their system. I have a green and a gunmetal blue candy from them, haven't tried them yet, though.

I'm thinkin' that copper sure would look nice under some candy red or brandywine.

Has anyone done it? I think I'll pick some up before the weekend and give it a try.

Gotta be a reason why they do not recommend Chrome as a base for their enamel candies...

Hi Lee,

I've been looking for a copper base for H of K paint and haven't had much luck.  I've had some success though with clearing Alclad Chrome and Burnt Metal and Aluminum with H of K Clear, lacquer base mind you.  Meaning lacquer over Alclad can work.  This works OK.  With some professional help I've acquired a few tricks with lacquer, H of K candies over Humbrol enamels, but not an easy method to explain here.  Humbrol has a copper that works well with reddish candies and it kicks butt.  They have a cool bronze too that really opens up opportunities.

This info is only meant for support in using lacquer based paints, like House of Kolor.  This reflects my experience to date.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

If you're using HOK candies, HOK copper pearl will make a great base coat. I've done some paint tests with candy red over it, & it looks very good.

On this one, I shot light coats of copper pearl over a black base, then, topped it with candy root beer.

50_Chevy-8-19-12-5s.thumb.jpg.5d04ff8556

Wow!  Steve, that looks fantastic!

The H of K copper pearl, what is the exact specification?  I need to get in touch with my H of K guru, but I'll need the proper number and letter combination.  Can you help?

Is the copper pearl a base coat?

Michael

.Thanks! Yes, a base coat. The text below says to shoot over white, but that is just to match the colors shown on the color chip. I test shoot on many different colored base colors to find out what I want as the final color.

http://shop.blackgoldweb.com/product.sc?productId=7&categoryId=2

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.bb50c2a8f233ebf9798