Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you touch up chrome parts?

I was curious how people touch up the chrome parts on their kits. I have been using Rust-oleum Chrome metallic finish, It is not that metallic. I have heard of getting parts re-chromed, but from what I understand you need to ship them out and have a place do it. Time consuming and plus it sounds expensive. I have also heard of the Alclad method where you paint everything glossy black and then use their chrome over it to make it look like chrome. The guy at the local model shop here suggested the AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Chrome Metallic Paint. From what I have read its just like the alclad. Even if I were to do something like the alcald, would I have to remove the old chrome first? If so how would I do that? Mostly I just want to touch up the areas from where I have to cut them off from the tree. 

Most just use various silvers to touch up the spots where the tree attached. Various chrome silvers or a Sharpie pen work. You'll find people swearing by as many variations as there are paint brands.

If it's more than just a spot, like removing mold lines I strip the chrome in a paint remover, any will do it but I use Dawn Power Dissolver to strip the clear coating under the chrome which is very difficult to get did of with most of the common paint removers.

I then just use Alclad to rechrome it. I've had good luck using Alclads Black, but there are many theories on this too. This is a GMC van I had to do all the chrome on .. bumpers, grill, mirrors, antennae ...

ReneesVanDSC_1057_zps42c7c8aa.jpg

Edited by Foxer

That van looks good. I like all the little details on it like the Hawaiian Seat cover and the emissions stickers.

I have not considered this. I assumed there was not enough surface area for it. 

BMF is overkill if the spot is no bigger than a "spot". I've used it where all the chrome is wearing off on bumpers and it's the closest thing to chrome you'll get. For those "spots", I find that a silver Sharpie is all that's needed. Actually, you're only concerned that the white plastic does not show through, and a Sharpie will cover those, but it's still no where close to chrome, and most chrome paints are a poor alternative if you hand-brush them. The best of the chrome brushables is Vallejo's Liquid Silver (IMO).

Edited by fseva