Model Cars Magazine Forum

Satin black

Ok now,I'm building the Revell five window and want to paint it satin/hot rod black.Is there a brand

or shade of black that is spot on? I have tried to find it but it is always hit or miss.It is flat flat or 

almost shiny. I hate stripping so it would be nice if it would be right the first time out.Any Ideas?

I also like Tamiya's TS-29 Semi Gloss Black, I've  always had good luck with it covering completely while still going on thin enough not to hide any details

I also agree with this. Its my go to black. I find the Tamiya colors spray on nice  and smooth. 

I am however about to start a new kit here soon and I am going paint it all with Golden's new High Flow colors.  (With the exception of using AK Interactive's White Primer) Golden's Carbon black is pretty shiny. I will have to see what I  can do to it to matte it down. Maybe some of the Airbrush Medium. The bottle says its more matte than shiny as opposed to the airbrush thinner.

This was the best photo of a build I have going that used Krylon Satin Black and shows the sheen it has. All suspension components and the drive shafts are satin Black. The frame is Floquil Grimy Black for reference.

chassis%20bottom%20DSC_1564_zpseyxdu72f.

Edited by Foxer

I like the Tamiya paints for the most part. They have a Matt Black TS-6 that is a little flatter than their Semi Gloss Black. As you my already know , if you're going to use any decals like pin striping or sponsor decals you would want to use gloss black first. Then apply your decals and then use a flat or semi gloss clear over that. This will usually hide the edge of the decals.  

I would recommend Model Master Lacquer semi-gloss black. It's available in a rattle can, at a very reasonable price.

Good to know! I haven't tried that yet. I use the Krylon satin black for chassis and interiors, but I don't think I'd ever use it for matte black car body parts.

I'm a HUGE fan of Model Master Black Chrome Trim for airbrushing, but it's nice to have a rattlecan fallback.

Good to know! I haven't tried that yet. I use the Krylon satin black for chassis and interiors, but I don't think I'd ever use it for matte black car body parts.

I'm a HUGE fan of Model Master Black Chrome Trim for airbrushing, but it's nice to have a rattlecan fallback.

i generally will use the decant/airbrush system with it. I, like you, do not care for the flat blacks out there... for some reason, it's too easy to get a build-up of paint, which really looks bad and has a noticeable texture.

Wow,thanks for the choices.Looks like I will try krylon and or JD blitz if tractor supply has it and go from there. 

The paints at tractor Supply are nowhere near the quality as the JD paint from the dealers.

I was using Dupli-Color but picked up a can of Valspar Satin Black at Lowe's a few months ago and like it.  It says with primer and Micromist spray. It does spray very fine, drys quick and looks smooth. I had also tried the Satin Black Latex Enamel in a pint can for airbrushing. I only used it a few times but it turned out nice as well. 

VHT makes a 1:1 car header paint which I like very much. Goes on thin with great coverage and dries very quickly. The finish is hard and fairly flat but buffing a bit will get a slight sheen.

EDIT: Does not harm bare styrene either...

Edited by Cato

There is a JD dealer not far from here so I will give them a try,thanks Tom.

I should have added, while the JD paints are great paints they are expensive.  I think the last can I bought was around $14.00. I only buy the vintage green as that's about the only place to get it.  The after markets are all the new green. 

My go-to paint for satin black is the generic stuff from Home Depot that is only like a buck per can. While the price is cheap, it goes on well and dries evenly.

Agreed, and I have had good results spraying Testers wet look clear over this same paint, and I have sprayed it on bare styrene with no primer with good results. This paint does react poorly to Duplicolor clear.

Edited by MGL